Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nice and romantic stay in Kyoto? 2017/9/20 02:41
Hi guys, me again.

I'm looking for a nice, cozy and romantic stay ryokun/semi-Japenese style hotel in Kyoto for me and my girlfriend. I want to propose to her during our 4-week Japan holiday, so i'm looking for a nice stay in Kyoto :-) We are staying 5 nights/6 days in Kyoto. We prefer to stay in the center and some onsen would be nice also! We don't want to stay in a big, soul less hotel.

Thanks so much, again, haha!
by ElPolloDiablo078  

Re: Nice and romantic stay in Kyoto? 2017/9/20 19:15
Hi. This recommendation is in Nara not in Kyoto but I reckon it is a romantic place. Have a look online at the Nara Hotel old wing. It isnt cheap, but it is 100 years old, full service, red carpet, brass timber, spectacular breakfasts and sipping Veuve near the piano that Albert Einstein used to play when he stayed there. Then a walk into town where there are thousands of acres of park with deer running about. It doesnt get much better, IMO.

I dont find ryokans terribly romantic (even though I like them a lot) because the service can be a little intrusive and the meal times sometimes a little rigid.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nice and romantic stay in Kyoto? 2017/9/20 21:55
I don't know your budget, but I positively adored my stay at the Hana Touro Gion Hotel in Kyoto. I'm not sure strictly speaking it's "romantic" since my trips to Japan are hardly romantic. (I currently mostly travel with my grade school daughter.) But it's a lovely intimate hotel. It's a short walk to Yasaka jinja/Maruyama Park, the Keihan Station, and just over the bridge is Takashimaya. I thought the location was amazing and just down the road are all the historic Gionmachi streets and you can walk them in the morning while they are still quiet. The room came with a useable balcony, something not many hotels in Japan have and while not an onsen, the bathrooms have a gorgeous Japanese style wooden soaking tub. The hotel is under 30 rooms and relatively new. The staff were lovely and willing to help with restaurant reservations for guests.

i believe for nearly double the price, you can also rent a townhome from Hana Touro near Kiyomizudera. That looked amazing, but overkill for just 1 adult and 1 child. It also books very quickly.

I've also stayed at the Royal Park, if you hit it right, it's considerably cheaper than the Hana Touro and I think still has a good location. It's not as luxurious at the Hana, but it's still nice and also not so large it feels souless despite being a national chain. It's under 100 rooms and next to a great pastry shop.

I know there are some actual onsen ryokan in Arashiyama and Kurama and maybe Takao, but most of the ryokan in Kyoto don't seem to have a true onsen. You go there more for food and service, if that makes sense. And well history.

I hope you find the right place! :)
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread