Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Studying Abroad (Homeschooler) 2017/9/26 10:39
Hi, so I've asked a question similar to this in the past, but I am looking to get a little bit more guidance on this, because I am a bit unsure what to do.

I'm currently in 11th grade.. I go into 12th next year. I've been homeschooled my entire life, but I'm interested in taking years of college in Japan.

My Japanese level is close very to N3; I've been studying for it, and I take it in December. With that in mind, language shouldn't be a problem for me by the time I'm ready for college, as I plan to keep furthering my language ability.

However, me being a homeschooler, people have told me I won't have the official qualifications I'd need to study abroad; this form of education isn't really recognized alone, which is understandable.

If I simply entered into a real school for my senior year, and got a diploma, would that fix all my problems? I'm fully willing to do so, and my parents are willing to help me if need be.

Also, since I can probably go through college with no issue in America, what if I completed a year or two here and then transferred to a school in Japan? Would they overlook the fact that I would have no official diploma for high school, and, let's say, take an associate's as reference? Or will they only hold interest in the fact of having a high school diploma?

I'm considering a lot lately, but part of me is thinking I should just enter into public school. For the most part though, because I'm currently working, and I enjoy homeschooling, I'd only be open to the possibility if I knew for sure that it'd remedy my concerns of not being able to study abroad.

If anyone could offer me some solid advice pertaining to my questions, I'd be very thankful.
by C (guest)  

Re: Studying Abroad (Homeschooler) 2017/9/26 20:35
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+157438

I think the general consensus was you need that officially recognized cert a high school gives you.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Studying Abroad (Homeschooler) 2017/9/26 22:26
Coincidentally, I dealt with this situation today. Although in that case it is for entry to an English medium program.

In short, we can accept the student, because they will graduate from a high school (she is completing her high school education as distance learning from a high school with an online program). However, one possible barrier for her (and potentially for you) is that MEXT rules require the provision of a 3-year transcript.

Entering a program taught in Japanese may be different - I strongly recommend you contact prospective universities. Many will ignore you - too hard. If you somehow find some kindly person which is willing to help, don't forget to say thank you at every occasion.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Studying Abroad (Homeschooler) 2017/9/27 05:18
Ah, I see. So a diploma and a three year transcript is needed. Thank you for telling me; that's important.

I see now that there may be a few more difficulties than I initially thought. I'll definitely attempt asking around and see what I can find.
by C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Studying Abroad (Homeschooler) 2017/9/27 16:26
Did you read the link that Hakata14 provided? A three year transcript is not a must, and there are ways to get something equivalent to a diploma. But maybe you're the same person as the OP in the link.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Studying Abroad (Homeschooler) 2017/9/28 03:56
Yes, I did in fact read the link, and yes, I did indeed post that. However, I wasn't able to read it until yesterday, because I didn't get notifications; they went to my spam box, and believe it or not, I thought nobody answered me.

The answers I got to that post really did help me, and I'm thankful to all the people who posted, however, I asked a similar, more specific question this time(I feel so anyway) because they told me a lot of different things, and I need a bit of a specific answer on the diploma answer.
(It's my fault, in fact. My questions were all over the place, I should really organize my thoughts better. I apologize to anyone I may be inconveniencing.)

After reading everyone's ideas yesterday, I could kind of figure out that yes, going to public school will make things much easier. Because of this, my parents will help me enter into a public school by January. However, I was still a bit concerned that a diploma may not be enough, because I was homeschooled all my life; even if I do enter school by January, I won't have a very extensive GPA and transcript to show, so I was hoping people could tell me more specifically about the complications like this I will surely face, even with a diploma. Many people have told me different things, but I would really like to know if I'd mostly be safe in this aspect as long as I had a diploma.

So from what I am getting..(NOW) a 3-year transcript is not absolutely necessary, and as long as I had the diploma, there wouldn't be many more issues?

Again, I really apologize if I came off as repetitive or annoying. I tend to get nervous easily, and I like to be thorough.
by C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Studying Abroad (Homeschooler) 2017/9/28 16:20
C,

My understanding is that all your questions have already been answered in the two threads. But either way, we are all mere anonymous posters of the World Wide Web.

As suggested, you should ask directly to the universities you aim for, because each university has different policies, and they can't generalize anyway. Another poster suggested they won't respond, but in fact, many will.

At least, a poster named "Two cents' worth" has a daughter who was homeschooled but was granted to be a university student. I myself have a relative who was homeschooled but was granted to be a student at one of the renowned universities in Japan. From a very quick internet search I found a person who was homeschooled all her life and was granted entrance to a university in Japan.
http://ai-am.net/kounin-1

But these are all mere internet information. You have to go off-line and start something to find out the truth. The internet can only assist you on that.

Re: Studying Abroad (Homeschooler) 2017/9/28 22:47
Uco

If he can send the inquiry in Japanese, then I agree he has a good chance of getting answers. If it is in English, then it will probably depend on the internal organization of the Admissions Center. If someone was to send an English email to our Japanese AC, then it would probably be forwarded to the English section, if they didn't know what to do, then it could easily be ignored. Depends a lot on the complexity of the situation in my experience.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Studying Abroad (Homeschooler) 2017/9/28 23:41
Thank you Dainichi Heater.

reply to this thread