Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Good place to buy a cheap HDTV? 2017/9/27 00:12
I will be living in Japan by the end of the week and I'm a big gamer so I need to find a good cheap HDTV, any places where I should look? (I'll be living in Tokyo)

Also I got a Nintendo Switch (NA), will the dock work in Japan outlets?

Thank you!
by Melging  

Re: Good place to buy a cheap HDTV? 2017/9/30 01:19
Check out the local Yodobashi and Bic Camera stores first. If you want to try to find something cheaper, check out some of the other stores in Akihabara. I believe some of these shops offer duty free, if you show them your foreign passport. And some of the stores will give you additional discount if you purchase with a Visa card. Don't take my word for it, though. Definitely do some research or ask before you buy.
by Taco Grande rate this post as useful

Re: Good place to buy a cheap HDTV? 2017/9/30 01:58
I have no issues charging my laptop and smartphone, while I'm there, but I am not sure about the Nintendo Switch. I would ask the folks at any of the electronics shop.
by Taco Grande rate this post as useful

Re: Good place to buy a cheap HDTV? 2017/9/30 03:43
Really? Wow, yeah I'll definetily check out those shops once I arrive to Japan, I hope that's true because that would be amazing.

I searched a little about the outlets and it should be fine for the Switch.
by Melging rate this post as useful

Re: Good place to buy a cheap HDTV? 2017/9/30 14:59
if you are a resident in Japan, you can't buy items with duty free, even though you have a foreign passport.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good place to buy a cheap HDTV? 2017/10/1 17:46
If you don't mind second-hand goods, I'd check out one of the many recycle shops.

Quality TVs in Japan tend to be a little bit on the expensive side especially if you go to the bigger electronic shops, but can be found cheap at recycle shops some of which will even deliver the goods to your home.
by Goober (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good place to buy a cheap HDTV? 2017/10/1 23:00
Sometimes older model TV's are heavily discounted. This can only be found through visiting multiple places like Bic Camera, Yodobashi Camera, Yamada denki and the like. These TV's normally are a superseeded model - so are brand new. I did this a couple of years ago.

As mentioned above, Japan does not really have cheap electronics. I've found it cheaper to buy small electronics overseas than in Japan. The comment about second hand stores is a good bet. Often second hand goods can be looked after quite well in Japan.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Good place to buy a cheap HDTV? 2017/10/1 23:24
Oh that's fine, I just need a HDTV where I could put plug a HDMI in haha.
by Melging rate this post as useful

reply to this thread