Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Visa DUI 2017/9/27 12:39
Hello,

I have researching this subject for hours and although I have seen some posts of a similar nature, it has not subdued my fear about my personal case.

I was recently offered a job in Japan as an English teacher in Tokyo. I was beyond excited because I have studied the language for years and it has always been a dream to move there.

I have not only been accepted by the company but I have also just received my Certificate of Eligibility and the moving date which is supposed to be two weeks away. I say supposedly for a very devastating and frightening reason. I have to fill out a Visa application form and it asks if I have ever been convicted of a crime of offense in any country.

My heart sank. I have been convicted of a DUI. It was my first and only offense. I have already been to court, paid the lawyer and court fees, and completed my 24 hours of community service. It was alcohol related, not drugs. It was a level five misdemeanor which is a lowest level misdemeanor for a DUI charge. There was no property damage, no bodily damage, nothing. Just a stupid mistake that I have been regretting ever since. Also, because of the state I live in, the charge cannot be expunged from my record.

After that first offense I have done everything to the letter and have never made another mistake again, but now I am crushed with fear that the past charge will stop me from receiving my Visa and by doing so, decimate my dream of getting a job in Japan. I don't know what to do. I have looked for some legitimate website to tell me how the embassy handles cases such as mine but have found nothing.

If anyone has any advice or insight into this I would be grateful.
by Dk5792  

Re: Japan Visa DUI 2017/9/27 15:53
Japanese immigration does not have access to your criminal files in your home country.
What you have done in your country is restricted to your country unless it is recent or you are wanted.
If they find some information about you by social media, etc all they can do is request for the information. But you are not interested enough I think for that. (I don`t mean rude) unless you registered at inter pole or any other wanted list.

Now they question is what will you do with the question, fill in with truth or keep it hidden.

If you fill in than you need to explain and probably there is no issue as long as it is not drugs related.
Once you fill in you better to consoled with the Japanese embassy in your country.

If you choose to ignore and hid the information than you would be probably also save until there is a reason for background check. But again you will not be interested enough for them immigration at this point. If they found out you have lied at your application your visa may be revoked and you need to leave Japan.

I am not saying you have to fill in or not, because in my opinion it is something you need to choose.
But in my standpoint you have paid your debts to the society and if you have no other issues you will be probably fine even if you don`t mention your crime.

Best of luck with you choice.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Visa DUI 2017/9/27 18:34
Usually as a rule of thumb, something that netted zero jail time isn't on immigration's radar.

Unless that drink driving involved property damage and injury that then netted it situation into a serious crime, then they would be interested.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread