Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shimokita from Hakodate 2017/10/1 01:37
Hi,
I was thinking of visiting Shimokita area but taking a different approach from Hakodate using the Hakotae-Oma ferry. According to time-table it departs Hakodate 9.00 arriving Oma 11.00.

My intent is to rent a car in Mutsu so I would need to go there by bus. There seem to be buses leaving 12.10 and 13.55 (sundays only??) and 16.20 from Oma, arrivinmg in Mutsu about 1,5 hour later. Heading for hotel.

My intent is to visit Osore-zan, Yagen valley and possible the cape area on the northeast side with wild horses.

I suppose it would be too time consuming going to these places on the same day I arrive from Hakodate, either by bus or rental car.

But my plan is to return the car at evening and heading to Morioka or Aomori.

The other approach would be going through Aomori and Hachinohe arriving in Shimokita around 11 the same day. Not sure how much I would be able to do by that time but I would want to go to Cape Oma still.

Any suggestions?
by Midge (guest)  

Re: Shimokita from Hakodate 2017/10/1 15:17
How about rent a car at Oma?

http://car.orix.co.jp/shops/?shops_pk=41

As far as I read you can return the car at other places, like Aomori (by 20:00).
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Shimokita from Hakodate 2017/10/1 19:00
How far is Aomori by car from Shimokita? I try to avoid highways if possible. But I still stay in Shimokita area one night or maybe it becomes to stressful...
by Midge (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shimokita from Hakodate 2017/10/1 19:17
How far is Aomori by car from Shimokita?

https://goo.gl/hpEjD3

172 km, 3h43 min according to googlemaps.

Re: Shimokita from Hakodate 2017/10/2 03:48
Ah, sorry, I could have looked that up myself but thank you for your help :)

Seems quite far though, would be a better bet if it could be returned in Mutsu or Noheji.

Re: Shimokita from Hakodate 2017/10/2 04:10
would be a better bet if it could be returned in Mutsu or Noheji.

I am sorry but there seems to be no branch of Orix Rent Car. You can return at Hachinohe but the time required is almost the same.

Re: Shimokita from Hakodate 2017/10/2 17:59
Is there much to see around the cape Oma area? Except for the open sea and the cape. Would be bad to rush through things though.

I went to visit Osuma-peninsula once and it took a lot of time getting to the south tip even though I left Kagoshima by 7.30 AM, I returned by 8 PM. I made a few stops on the way though.

I will probably use a JR pass but I don't think it can be used from Noheji to Shimokita right?

reply to this thread