Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to change double-byte to single-byte? 2017/10/3 13:57
I am trying to make on-line train reservations on JR EAST's website in English, but I keep on getting the message - "Please re-enter your first name. Your previous entry included a character that was not a single-byte English letter or number." How do I change alphabets to single-byte? Thank you.
by JJ (guest)  

Re: How to change double-byte to single-byte? 2017/10/4 09:08
Probably you have entered non-ASCII characters, such as accented letters.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How to change double-byte to single-byte? 2017/10/4 12:54
What computer/tablet/smartphone and default input language are you using? I encountered similar issue before (I forgot which site) and resolved by switching the input language from Japanese to English (or vice versa) where the name was requested in Roma-ji (Roman alphabet).
by BNBC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to change double-byte to single-byte? 2017/10/4 13:13
Of course, the full-width Latin characters which may be used by some OSes when the input language is set to Japanese are not ASCII either. It should be possible, by the way, to use half-width characters without exiting the Japanese input mode.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How to change double-byte to single-byte? 2017/10/4 22:39
we have been using Windows, both 7 and 10, using all Japanese keyboard input methods available, both Romanji and Kana. Also tried using iPad to simplify things, also added Japanese keyboard to the iOS, none worked. Always had problem with the first name section only. Tried online double and single byte character conversion, didn't work either, looks like this site is bugged, or at least its not terribly user friendly.

Any further suggestions welcome as we need to get the ticket online and time is running out.
by ray (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to change double-byte to single-byte? 2017/10/5 00:32
Try setting your keyboard to US English and entering the characters of your name instead of trying to use a Japanese keyboard to enter Romaji.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to change double-byte to single-byte? 2017/10/5 17:30
Have you tried to type the text somewhere else (like Notepad) and then copy & paste it in the form field?
by H3C rate this post as useful

reply to this thread