Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiking in Japan 2017/10/7 13:31
How are the conditions like in Japan during January? We are planning to go early January (after the 5th sometime) and want to understand whether its possible to do a hike. I have been to Japan before just not when it was snowing. The hike i want to try is the Mt. Shirouma-dake one that this site uploaded recently. Thank you
by Henry (guest)  

Re: Hiking in Japan 2017/10/7 17:43
Most hiking trails in winter are closed.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking in Japan 2017/10/7 18:39
The article about that hike says the hiking season for that mountain runs from July to October.

There are some hikes open in winter, but most involving mountainous areas will be closed due to snow and ice.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking in Japan 2017/10/7 21:20
I remember that there was a discussion on hiking on this forum before and maybe there might be some opportunities in Kyushu. Just have a look.

But central Japan is very much under snow in winter. Maybe if you could opt for skiing instead of hiking, you could have a great mountain experience. I hear that Hokkaido is the best place for skiing, but also most parts of central Japan will be covered deep in snow.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking in Japan 2017/10/8 00:10

early January (after the 5th sometime) and want to understand whether it's possible to do a hike

Yakushima would be perfect, average 20C.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking in Japan 2017/10/8 10:29
Ah I see. I am going with 6 friends and half are interested in going for a hike like that in Japan but thats a bummer if its not open during winter. I especially loved some of the scenes shown in the video, because I'll be taking my own dslr camera but I guess not. To everyone that replied to this thread, I am very thankful for the input. I guess I'll try next time? haha
by Henry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking in Japan 2017/10/8 13:17
Maybe can try Kumano Kodo http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/kumano-kodo/
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread