Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yet another credit card/paypal question 2017/10/11 19:49
Hi everyone,
I know the topic has been treated extensively, but I would like to have some specific help with my case if possible.

So, I got married and moved to Japan. I am a freelancer, and the only way I get paid with is paypal. Here comes the trouble, cause I opened a JP Paypal account, and the withdrawal limit is quite low. To raise it, they want me to register a credit card, but the problem is that I can't. I have been to some banks and the post office as well, and they can't give me a card if I haven't lived here one year at least. Some also want to see proofs of my job, but the problem is that I can't get money if I don't use paypal!

Is there any debit-visa-like card in Japan? I had a few when I was not living here, it's never been a problem to withdraw anything I needed, but staying here is impossible in the long term, with 50,000 yen per month only (as that's the limit)

I have the banks' cash ones, but they are useless to activate it, I need a card with the 16 digits code.

Thanks in advance to everyone who will be so patient to read through and answer :)
by CaptNemo  

Re: Yet another credit card/paypal question 2017/10/12 12:35
Several banks offer Visa debit cards; just Google it. Whether they will work with PayPal I don't know. Japanese PayPal is highly regulated.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Yet another credit card/paypal question 2017/10/12 13:21
Hi Firas, thanks for your reply.
Any example? I couldn't really find any, and my wife apparently doesn't understand the concept of visa debit, since what she got me was just a couple of cash cards I can't use :(
by CaptNemo rate this post as useful

Re: Yet another credit card/paypal question 2017/10/12 13:35

Re: Yet another credit card/paypal question 2017/10/12 17:05
Thanks a lot!

Re: Yet another credit card/paypal question 2017/10/12 20:45
Not sure if paypal from different countries differs, but any credit card will work but not prepaid credit cards, I don't own any credit card, but I registered a friends credit card and have been using it for the past 4 years for transaction and purchase.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yet another credit card/paypal question 2017/10/12 23:27
Thanks for your reply. It's strange though, I used debit and prepaid cards in italy, and they also told me I can't use my wife's bank account or her CC to verify mine here

Re: Yet another credit card/paypal question 2017/10/12 23:38
Once they verify the CC, they know it's a prepaid or normal CC, I just used my friends CC and using it ever since, just log in to your account and put the details in, you don't need to tell them.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yet another credit card/paypal question 2017/10/13 08:09
Again, japanese PayPal works very differently than in other countries due to heavy government regulations.

Re: Yet another credit card/paypal question 2017/10/13 11:55
It does not have to be a Japanese credit card. I have a non-Japan CC loaded on my Japan PayPal account no problem.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Yet another credit card/paypal question 2017/10/13 11:58
Thanks! I will give that a try then, their employees are jerks, always giving misleading information :(

reply to this thread