Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About spouse visa 2017/10/16 19:43
I have tried looking multiple places and can't find a exact answer to this

If I have a spouse visa and Get divorced, How long after my divorce is settled can I stay in Japan?

I've heard places saying 6 months. Though, I don't know if that is true OR if it is one of those thing's where I have a 1 year visa for example and I get divorced and I have 6 months remaining I can stay those months

What is the amount of time I can stay after my divorce?

is it based my the remaining time on my current visa? For example If I have 5 months left on my visa Can I only stay for those 5 months?

also, If i'm currently working when I get a divorce, Can I continue working until I have to leave?

also, In the amount of time remaining is it possible to try and get a work visa or something in order to say in japan?

any help is appreciated, thank you!
by Bob Ross  

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 12:47
You can stay until your status expires or is revoked, whichever comes earlier.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 12:50
Meaning If I have 6-7 months or more left on my spouse visa I can stay until It expires after divorce?

or I have to leave right away after divorce?
by Bob Ross rate this post as useful

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 12:54
You can stay until it expires or is revoked, what is not clear?

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 12:56
well If they revoke it how would I know? or when would I know

I mean saying I can stay until it expires is different than when its revoked

I just need to know a timeline in which these thing's happen it's important

I need to know a general amount of time I can be here after divorce

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 13:05
About revocation of status:

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/torikeshi.html

http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/law/detail_main?re=&vm=&id=264...

Tl;dr: first you get a letter in the mail informing you that Immigration is considering revoking your status, and inviting you to an interview, during which you can explain why you think you should be allowed to remain in Japan. If they are not convinced, they revoke your status and you must leave within 30 days.

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 13:09
You cannot know when or even if revocation will happen, it's completely at Immigration's discretion.

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 13:14
oh I see!

I can stay Until my visa experies but only if they don't get in contact with me to revoke it

If I'm working at the time of divorce and they choose not to revoke it am I allowed to still continue working with the spouse visa?

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 13:25
Yes.

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 13:25
After your divorce you also need to go to immigration and inform that you have been divorced. Like Firas informed they will decide if your visa will be revoked or not. But not informing your status change will put you in a bad position.
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 13:34
Thank you for the information!

My other question is, I notice that it says That I can lose my spouse visa if I am not conducting the activities. Like living with my wife for 90 days

I know lots of people have problems but if I stay with a friend for a while i'm thinking they can revoke my visa if I'm staying somewhere else more than 90 days?

for example, we are trying to work on the marriage but we need a little time apart or if I get a job in another city

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 13:39
I made a mistake, Not 90 days

"Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident
has failed to continue to engage in the activity as a spouse for six months or more "

so we could be married and we can take some time apart as long as I continue living in my home with my wife again before 6 months time?

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 15:53
Once you move to another location you need to inform immigration even if you move or move without your wife. Immigration officer is the only rightful person to decide.

So for every movement you need to inform them unless you have a permanent resident status than you are free to do what ever you want, divorce, remarry, move etc. But unless you don`t have you need to inform the immigration.

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/17 21:17
Yeah that makes sense

Though, I was a little confused because it says "Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident
has failed to continue to engage in the activity as a spouse for six months or more "

So if I was still married and my home address was still with my wife and I was just staying with a friend for a while. No moving to another home, Just visiting for a while Isn't that different?

as long as I'm not changing my address and permanantly moving?

Re: About spouse visa 2017/10/20 11:36
The thing is immigration is keen for rules, sometimes even they do not know their own rules.

You can stay with a friend, without telling since you are not technical moving out. But if we talk about the duration you will not be with your wife anymore is another story.

It is not to make you worried and maybe you are not interested enough for the immigration, but they sometimes do random checks. Ask neighbors, ask your wife family, but only when the suspect something.

I will not say you will be 100% correct by staying with a friend. Again only immigration officers can tell. But as mentioned before you can stay till the end of your visa term and or you can apply for another visa if relevant. This is all pending on case by case

reply to this thread