Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help translating 2017/10/17 04:52
Hi all,

Learning Japanese for two years now, and i'm kind of stuck to translate the following sentence.

さいきん、お母さんが使うものをプルゼントする人もいます。

What i think it means is the following:

Recently, people also give presents to mothers (who use things).

Or maybe something like this:

Recently, mothers who could use things are given as presents by people.

I'm kinda lost in the ゼントする人もいます part. Could somebody explain what's going on here?

Thank you for your reaction!
by japanlover77  

Re: Help translating 2017/10/17 13:43
"Recently, people give away things that their mothers use as a present."
お母さんが使うもの (Things that mother uses) is one clause. Then, 人もいますwhoプルゼントするthoseもの.
:)
by krr (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help translating 2017/10/17 18:07
- Recently, some people (meaning not everyone) give gifts to their mothers that the mothers use/put to practical use.

I am assuming that some people give flowers, cards and other things as presents to mom, but now there are some others who give practical things, or something like that.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help translating 2017/10/17 18:09
@krr: I am not Japanese, so maybe my idea of the translation of this sentence is wrong, but wouldn't it be more something on the line like: "Recently there are also people who give presents to their mothers that they (i.e. the mother) can actually use"
I am kind of thinking that maybe previously only flowers were given as presents and more recently people started to give as presents also television screens, phones, cooking stuff...

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Help translating 2017/10/17 18:22
LikeBike, I agree with you. The "give away" in earlier post sounded somewhat misleading so I decided to post too.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help translating 2017/10/18 04:43
Thanks for the responses people. Is ひともいます just some sentence pattern? If you litteraly translate it (people too are) it isn't in the translations you guys give. How come?
by japanlover77 rate this post as useful

Re: Help translating 2017/10/18 06:53
Literally saying it means "there are also such people"
います=there are
ひと=people
も=particle expressing that even such things/ people exist. In contrast to が which would only mean that "there are people" not including a possibility for another kind of people to exist as well.

Where did this sentence come from? It very much sounds like a textbook.

I guess that in Japanese text books it is being taught as a sentence pattern. Are you using みんなの日本語? If yes, I am pretty sure that this will still come.

I also signed up some time ago for some daily grammar emails. I can't find it right now, but once I find it and remember I can post how to get those. They are well explained in English and are ordered by JLPT levels.

Enjoy studying Japanese.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help translating 2017/10/19 14:20
Here the web page where you can register for daily grammar explanation emails based on JLPT level:
https://nihongoshark.com/

I also noticed that you are in the Netherlands. Are you aware of a "Meetup" group meeting approximately every two weeks in Utrecht to speak Japanese? A lot of Japanese actually attend, plus people learning Japanese.

Enjoy studying Japanese!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread