Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Disabling phone camera shutter sound 2017/10/19 14:10
Hi all

I will be flying to Tokyo next week for a brief vacation. Based on my previous trip to Japan and what I gathered afterwards, it appears that using data-only SIM cards in Japan will activate and prevent you from disabling the phone camera shutter sound as mandated by law. However, I've read online that some people didn't experience this.

1. Are there any known data-only SIM cards which don't have this problem?

2. Will using a portable WiFi router (where the Japan data-only SIM card will be in, instead of my phone) avoid this problem?

I am aware that other solutions include rooting and downloading silent camera apps, but the former isn't available for me (I just bought a Samsung Note 8) and the latter will have a lot of camera features and options missing (very eager to test my dual cameras on my Note 8 during the trip).
by NoviceFlaneur (guest)  

Re: Disabling phone camera shutter sound 2017/10/19 18:13
That noise has nothing to do with sim setting. It is a phone setting. I doubt what you have heard is factual.

If really worried about it. Turn if off before you travel to Japan.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Disabling phone camera shutter sound 2017/10/19 22:17
Indeed. It doesn't sound like something a SIM card would be able to do but, just in case, the one I got from these guys in March didn't turn on the sounds on my iPhone 7:

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/
by Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Disabling phone camera shutter sound 2017/10/20 08:04
As spotted on the TA forum, intending to break the law and writing about it on a forum isn't a good idea. But, as others have said, not a sim card issue.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Disabling phone camera shutter sound 2017/10/20 08:46
It is possible to disable the shutter sound. I just wanted to know if it is possible or not.
I have it done before, but you cannot update your phone anymore after new update you have the same shutter sound again.

Also as mentioned in Japan as it is a regulation about the shutter sound.
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread