Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Prepaid phone card and public phones 2017/10/21 05:06
Last time I was in Japan in 2016, I believe there were still public phones in Narita airport and you can use a prepaid phone card to call someone in Japan. Since I am not planning on getting a sim card or a pocket wifi and if I can't connect free wifi at the airport, I have to buy this prepaid phone card to call family in Japan. I only have about 2 hours (if my flight arrives on time) at Narita airport so, there is no time to waste. My questions are: 1) Are public phones available at Narita airport? 2) where do I get a prepaid phone card? Convenient store? 3) I see free wifi is supposed to be available at Narita airport. It that true? And lastly 4) Does JR East or West on Shinkansen line or Narita Express offer free wifi (they did not last year)?
by Etusko  

Re: Prepaid phone card and public phones 2017/10/21 12:21
There is free wifi at Narita airport and it works reliable.
I can't answer your other questions, it public phones definitely still exist in Japan. Few though.
Wifi is also available on Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka. Not sure if this is Nozomi only.
There are also throughout Japan free wifi spots every now and then.
And I have been told ( but never checked) that 7/11 has free wifi.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Prepaid phone card and public phones 2017/10/23 23:54
Thank you, LikeBike. Appreciate your info!
by Etusko rate this post as useful

Re: Prepaid phone card and public phones 2017/10/25 15:32
I struggled to use the Free WiFi both JR Central and JR West had on offer. I couldn't get it to work at all and gave up in the end.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread