Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Itinerary feedback for first time visit 2017/10/24 20:16
Hi guys, my partner and I are both in our early 30s and travelling to Japan for the first time for 19 days on the 17th March 2018. Neither of us have been to Japan before so we are finding it hard to get together a perfect itinerary that encompasses the feel of Japan. We'd like to see cities, temples and shrines, historical sites, onsen, night life and nature.

Below is our rough and ready plan, please let me know your suggestions and advice if you think anything should change or we are missing anything out

Day 1: Arrive in Tokyo

Day 2: Tokyo

Day 3: Tokyo

Day 4: Day trip to Nikko (Tokyo)

Day 5: Day trip to Kamakura (Tokyo)

Day 6: Tokyo

Day 7: Hakone

Day 8: Kyoto

Day 9: Kyoto

Day 10: Day trip to Nara (Kyoto)

Day 11: Kyoto

Day 12: Takayama

Day 13: Kanazawa

Day 14: Osaka

Day 15: Day trip to Mount Koya (Osaka)

Day 16: Hiroshima

Day 17: Day trip to Miyajima (Hiroshima)

Day 18: Himeji, then on to Tokyo in the evening

Day 19: Depart Tokyo
by James G (guest)  

Re: Japan Itinerary feedback for first time visit 2017/10/25 14:37
I probably wouldn't to Takayama/Kanazawa between Kyot and Osaka. Kyoto and Osaka are 30 minute apart do it make no sense to separate them with visits elsewhere.

I'd put Takayama/Kanazawa on your last few days between Hiroshima and Tokyo. And leave the rest of the itinerary as is.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary feedback for first time visit 2017/10/25 15:15
Nice, nowhere near as rushed as most people plan. @Hakata14 is right about moving the Takayama/Kanazawa days though.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary feedback for first time visit 2017/10/25 16:26
Thanks for the advice. I think we are going to skip Koyasan and do Osaka as an afternoon / evening from Kyoto as it so close. That frees up some time so Kanazawa and Takayama is less rushed. Does this sound better:

Day 1: Arrive Tokyo
Day 2: Tokyo
Day 3: Tokyo
Day 4: Day trip to Nikko (Tokyo)
Day 5: Day trip to Kamakura (Tokyo)
Day 6: Tokyo
Day 7: Hakone
Day 8: Kyoto
Day 9: Kyoto
Day 10: Day trip to Nara (Kyoto)
Day 11: Day trip to Osaka (Kyoto)
Day 12: Kyoto
Day 13: Hiroshima (Possibly Himeji on the way)
Day 14: Day trip to Miyajima (Hiroshima)
Day 15: Kanazawa (Possibly Himeji on the way)
Day 16: Kanazawa
Day 17: Takayama
Day 18: Takayama (afternoon to Tokyo)
Day 19: Fly from Tokyo

The other possibility is reversing this some what, so after Tokyo going to Takayama, Kanazawa, Kyoto onwards then stopping at Hakone for the night on day 17 on the way back from Hiroshima. Which would be better?

by James (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary feedback for first time visit 2017/10/25 17:14
Your itinerary is pretty solid, James. On the last leg of your trip from Hiroshima to Tokyo, you could break the travel by stopping either at Himeji, Osaka or Hakone. Osaka will give you a better choice of accommodation and by staying overnight, you could explore more of that city. Whereas Himeji is more suitable for a day trip. I have never been to Hakone yet, but I'd imagine spending more time in Osaka might give you more of the city vibe, whereas Hakone is more about the natural landscape.

Nikko is lovely all year round and especially in winter, though March is near the end of it. I went to Kamakura during winter and although I enjoyed it, I believe spring or autumn would have been better. Basically all the trees were leafless and so was the hill behind the Great Buddha statue. I personally, thought the Daibutsu in Nara was larger and more impressive.

So you could possibly take Kamakura out and spend more time in Kanazawa, Osaka or other places. I personally fell in love with both Kyoto and Kanazawa and couldn't get enough of them. All the best!
by hojo36 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary feedback for first time visit 2017/10/25 17:56
We'd like to see cities, temples and shrines, historical sites, onsen, night life and nature.

How about flowers?

Your traveling dates (17th March to 4th April I guess) somewhat overlap with the cherry blossom season. Usually early April is good for around Tokyo.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary feedback for first time visit 2017/10/25 20:33
You talk about possibly reversing some of your itinerary. This wouldn't make much difference unless there is something going on on a particular day that you could take in. Otherwise this looks great, can I come along ;)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary feedback for first time visit 2017/10/25 23:51
I don't know what your budget is, but be aware that hotels in Kyoto fill up fast. If you wait too long to book your room, you will end up having to stay in a very expensive hotel, or commute from Osaka where accommodation is cheaper.

by mafepero (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread