Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Relaxing activities in Kansai 2017/11/5 02:54
Hello,

I plan to take my husband to Japan for the first time in September 2018 and I am trying to figure out what we can do together in Kansai, as he is not able to walk very far distances. It's not like he cannot walk at all but he gets bad pains in his leg after 30-60 minutes of straight walking, and sometimes it lasts the whole day. So we have to take things slow.

Osaka (or Neyagawa) will probably be our home base and we will take trips from there. So I would be happy about any recommendation for things to do in and around Osaka that do not require heavy amounts of walking.

Here are the things I have considered so far:

1. I would like to see lake Biwa this time and thought about visiting Otsu. Maybe there are nicer spots you would recommend? Beaches (which are also nice in September)?

2. My husband is very interested in crafts, especially blacksmiths, so we could go to the Bizen Osafune Sword Museum in Okayama. Are there other places of interest near by?

3. I would love to do Koya-san but I am not sure how well this works if you cannot walk far... What do you think? I read that you can take busses up the mountain, which would be helpful.
Can someone recommend a good temple lodging?

4. I never made it into an Onsen, so it would be brilliant to experience this together. Any recommendations in Kansai where we could take a bath as a couple (not seperated) and that allows tattoos?

5. Maybe there are especially scenic train rides or bus tours?

I appreciate every input. Thank you!
by Chess (guest)  

Re: Relaxing activities in Kansai 2017/11/5 09:04
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing activities in Kansai 2017/11/5 09:26
Regarding walking, some temples /shrines habe wheelchairs to use on their premises. Not sure how your husband would feel about that. And youfd need to do some research where it is possible. Also is cycling a possibility to reduce his pain? Specially in Kyoto there are cycling tours available. But mind that September is still very hot.

. I would like to see lake Biwa this time and thought about visiting Otsu. Maybe there are nicer spots you would recommend? Beaches (which are also nice in September)?
Well Japan isnft really a country for going to a beach. There are beaches, but if you expect glorious beaches you will be disappointed.

3. I would love to do Koya-san but I am not sure how well this works if you cannot walk far... What do you think? I read that you can take busses up the mountain, which would be helpful.

Yes, there is a bus up to the village on mount Koya and also a bus in the town. I think the one place where you NEED to do most walking is the very nice cemetery. But you can simply opt for a very short tour. Or you could venture alone a bit further.

5. Maybe there are especially scenic train rides or bus tours?
You might have a look if there are any ferries in the inland sea. Eg to Hiroshima or one of the islands. I am sure there are also some scenic trains.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing activities in Kansai 2017/11/5 13:58
The problem with Ostu and Biwako is the most sights a longer walk from the train stsations than normal. Ishiyamadera, Miidera Omi Jinju Shrine, Hiyoshi Taisha etc all are 500+ meters from the train stations. And most of the beaches are also 500+ meters from the train stations. So relaxing without walking is problematic.

There are boat cruises from Otsu, Hikone and Nagahama townships. Nagahama station is only a small walk from the Nagahama ferry port, and you can access a few islands like Chikubu Island.

https://www.biwako-visitors.jp/spot/detail/1312

There is smaller unknown beaches along the northern side of the lake, closer to stations. But I forget the names of the stations close to water.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing activities in Kansai 2017/11/5 22:45
Thank you all so much!

Taking bikes is a very good idea. I hate riding a bike, so that never comes to mind but he will enjoy it a lot. :)

Ha, ha yes Japan is not exactly a country for beach holidays but we both enjoy to be near water. So a ferry ride could be a great idea!

by Chess (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing activities in Kansai 2017/11/6 09:27
My recommendation is here.

This is very calm beach side and water is clear.

You can rent a canoe.

And there is a good Onsen near there, though you can ride a bus for there.
https://www.tripadvisor.jp/Attraction_Review-g1023578-d3588173-Reviews...
https://www.tripadvisor.jp/Attraction_Review-g1023578-d2057608-Reviews...

by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing activities in Kansai 2017/11/6 09:36
At least in Tokyo there are also yours with small karts (similar to those you get on a kart racing track). I personally donft like them and I am not sure if they make you to dress up like Super Mario or if their guests always choose to do so. But this could be an option for mobility specially if you donft like bicycles.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing activities in Kansai 2017/11/6 09:40
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing activities in Kansai 2017/11/6 11:31
I forget to attack the website for the beach.

https://www.tripadvisor.jp/Attraction_Review-g1023578-d1425186-Reviews...

It is near Makino station to where it will take 65 min. from Kyoto by local train.
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing activities in Kansai 2017/11/6 18:20
Ha, ha if I got my husband to dress up like Super Mario this holiday was a full success :D But seriously, a good idea to look out for altenative tours.

Thanks for the beach recommendations!
by Chess (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread