Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kinosaki onsen etiquette 2017/11/10 11:26
Hi,
I would be staying in kinosaki onsen next spring for 2 nights. We are a family with a 4 and 6yo kids. I have done some research on kinosaki and would like to ask some questions:
1. Is it true that shops in kinosaki close during dinner time because usually guests would dine in the ryokan? Does the bath stays open during dinner time?I have a little apprehension about the onsen bathing and was hoping I could try it during dinner time when it is a bit quieter (travelling with young kids mean we always have out dinner early and at actual dinner time we could wander about)
2. I read that people change into yukata and walk around the town in them in the evening and morning. How about daytime? As we will be staying for 2 days, I just want to know if I am expected to change into normal clothes at daytime and then yukata again come the evening?
3. We booked the accommodation without meal (that's what available on the booking site). so planning to eat out. Is it a good idea to book the restaurant (for dinner) couple of days prior?

Thank you
by Has (guest)  

Re: Kinosaki onsen etiquette 2017/11/10 12:56
Kinosaki is wonderful. You'll enjoy it, especially if you have two days.

1. The various onsen in town will remain open during dinner time. During the day, it will be much less crowded than in the evening. Some only open in the late afternoon, but others will open in the early morning and stay open all day. I will say, though, that there is way more fun in the evening to walk around. Be brave with your kids.

2. You can walk about in yukata during the daytime as well, but it is much less crowded on the streets during the day, if you're worried about being self conscious. Remember that some people will be going to the onsen during the day.

3. Dining is hard to come by in the evenings about town. I strongly suggest you contact your ryokan and see if you can arrange breakfast and dinner there. That experience is not to be missed, either.

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Kinosaki onsen etiquette 2017/11/11 21:55
Thank you for your answer. I will try to email the ryokan regarding the meal.
by Has (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kinosaki onsen etiquette 2017/12/1 18:45
Definitely try to eat at your ryokan on at least one night. It's a great experience. If you can't arrange it in advance, and you're staying two nights, then just ask them as soon as you arrive and they'll most likely be happy to serve you dinner on the second night.

Re yukatas or normal clothes - just do whatever you feel comfortable with. You'll see people in both. Yukatas are more common in the evening then in the daytime, but you'll see plenty of people in western clothes in the evening. A lot will depend on the weather. There are other things to do in the daytime, so not everyone is there for bathing, which means that even if all the bathers were to wear yukata (which is NOT the case), then there will always be people in western clothes. You won't stand out.

There are restaurants which are open for dinner. Not loads of them, but just by walking up the main streets in the daytime you'll see places which are open for dinner. Your ryokan will also be able to recommend somewhere for you.

Re. the baths, be aware that not all baths are open every day. Some (or is it all?) of them have a closed day, and they stagger the closed days to that there are always some baths open on each day. There's a good tourist info place right by the train station and they will give you a map and onsen details.

Also, my experience is that you don't need to worry about bathing with children. As long as they can be quiet and not jump and splash as they might do in a swimming pool, kids tend to love onsens (as long as the water isn't too hot - which can be a problem for adults and kids alike!). You might see other children in the baths (which, for our daughter, is always a bonus!).

With kids of 6 and 3, you are probably OK taking them both into either the male or the female section (so - assuming you're two adults of different genders - you can take it in turns to bathe with the kids while the other adult has some quiet time). And a hot bath before bedtime always works to make our little one sleepy....which is also excellent for some adult me-time! Given the choice, I'd always stay in a ryokan over a hotel when travelling with children. It's just so much more fun...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Kinosaki onsen etiquette 2017/12/2 15:28
Traditionally it's a no-no to walk around in Yukata before late afternoon as it's pajamas.
But Onsen spots are kind of exceptions as they are places that allow people to be lazy.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread