Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Scholarships for foreigners? 2017/11/15 09:50
I've been interested about applying for the upcoming MEXT Scholarship, though, I am a Canadian citizen. As I checked the Embassy of Japan in Canada's website, it seems there are only three available scholarships: research studies, undergraduate studies, and Japanese studies. Does this mean I am limited to these options?
I'm a guy who is interested in fashion, my interest/hobby sparked from Korean and Japanese fashion, also due to why everyone where I lived looked so boring. I was thinking of applying for a specialized training college study (because fashion falls under here.) Though it seems Canada does not have this? Can anyone help me confirm to whether or not this stops me from pursuing it? Or if anyone has any scholarships (hopefully fully funded) which would let a Canadian student like me study fashion in Japan?
I'm currently in my last year of high school, Japan is my first pick of where I want to study fashion, if not I will attend a university or college here.
tl;dr: high school senior wants to study in japan with MEXT scholarship, but his scholarship may not be available. also any other options to help me study in japan?
by thinkingalot (guest)  

Re: Japan Scholarships for foreigners? 2017/11/15 12:20
For starters, do you know Japanese? I'd be surprised if there were fashion schools in Japan that teach in English.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Scholarships for foreigners? 2017/11/15 12:43
I've been studying for a little bit, I can read kana, though right now I'm focusing on grammar and kanji.

My question is about if there are available scholarships? I've taught of attending a language school, but it is quite pricey. MEXT Scholarships would offer you one year of Japanese language class, though I'd like to attend a fashion school (so a specialized training school), but I am still not sure if I can apply for that since I am Canadian and on the official site of the Japanese embassy in Canada does not have it.

Though, if there are any possible scholarships that I can apply for while attending a language school (going the pay it myself route), that would help me attend a college after finishing Japanese school, that would be great.
by thinkingalot (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Scholarships for foreigners? 2017/11/15 12:52
It's no use thinking about scholarships if you can't get admitted into any school anyway due to insufficient Japanese language ability.

Re: Japan Scholarships for foreigners? 2017/11/15 12:56
Anyway, Google is your friend. The first result when you type "scholarships Japan" is the comprehensive list published by JASSO. http://www.jasso.go.jp/en/study_j/scholarships/brochure.html

reply to this thread