Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yokohama Day Trip, which pass to get? 2017/11/17 00:04
Im having a day trip to yokohama from tokyo (shinjuku area to be specific). I am planning on covering these places :

Sankeien Garden
Yamashita Park
China Town
Osanbashi Pier
Minato Mirai 21

I was just wondering would it be more worth it for me to get any day-pass instead of tapping on my suica card? If yes, which card? I did try doing some research, but it's soooo confusing.

Thank you so much .
by Max (guest)  

Re: Yokohama Day Trip, which pass to get? 2017/11/17 09:04
The fare is only Y550 to Yokohama so a "pass" is unlikely to help. The one-day JR Tokyo pass (Y1590) wouldn't cover the trip anyway.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Day Trip, which pass to get? 2017/11/17 09:42
If you can read Japanese, I recommend this pass.
http://www.tokyu.co.jp/railway/ticket/types/value_ticket/tabigurume_ti...

I know you could get directly to Yokohama from Shinjuku on the Shonan Shinjuku Line (JR), but this is a Tokyu like pass so you would have to go to Shibuya, purchase the pass there at the Tokyu ticket office, and take the Toyoko line to Yokohama.

It includes unlimited travelling on the Tokyu Toyoko line (Shibuya-Yokohama) and MinatoMirai line (directly connecting from the Toyoko and spanning from Yokohama to Motomachi-Chukagai, covering all the areas you wanna see), plus a meal coupon for a high quality Chinese meal at Chinatown. They're really good, not random touristic menus, I've tried most of them.
The price is 2500 which is a bargain if you think it includes meal and the very expensive MinatoMirai line.

The previous poster said that it only takes 550 JPY from Shinjuku to Yokohama on JR, which is correct, but then from Yokohama station you need to take further trains or subway to move around. None of the attractions you mentioned is walking distance.

Hope this helps.
by Yokohama lover (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Day Trip, which pass to get? 2017/11/17 09:48
Also, one addition:
Sankeien garden is not close to any station, you need to catch a bus.
The most convenient way is to catch the "Burari Sankeien bus" from Sakuragicho station (Minatomirai)
http://www.city.yokohama.lg.jp/koutuu/kankou/sanrosen/pdf/burari-reafl... (sorry JP only)
but be careful because it only runs on Sat/Sun/Holidays.
On weekdays, you may check access options from this english link http://www.sankeien.or.jp/pdf/guidemap_english.pdf
It's a bit out of the way but it is a very beautiful garden , I do recommend paying a visit.
by Yokohama lover (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Day Trip, which pass to get? 2017/11/17 12:21
Other than Sankeien Garden, everything on your itinerary is in downtown Yokohama and very walkable. It takes around thirty minutes to walk from the Minato Mira to Chinatown, with Osanbashi Pier in between and Yamashita Park right next to Chinatown, and several other interesting sights along the way such as Red Brick Warehouse and the Cupnoodles Museum. Just use your Suica card.

BTW you can take the Toyoko line directly from Shinjuku 3-chome station (the Fukutoshin subway line turns into the Toyoko line which turns into the Minato Mirai line which goes to Minato Mirai station). It might be easier than taking JR trains.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Day Trip, which pass to get? 2017/11/17 12:46
BTW the train fare is Y620 between Shinjuku Sanchome and Minato Mirai stations (38 minutes) and Y650 between Shinjuku Sanchome station and Motomachi-Chinatown station (also on the Minato-Mirai line).

by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Day Trip, which pass to get? 2017/11/17 13:33
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Day Trip, which pass to get? 2017/11/18 07:27
It's still only 550 yen to Sakuragicho or 640 to Kannai. If you wanted to use the subway from Yokohama, yes it would cost a little more.

Is the bother of a "pass" and the time/hassle really going to save you enough to make it worthwhile?

For me, I would not bother for a few hundred yen. If I was going to that area in Yokohama I would probably start at Sakuragicho and work my way around the waterfront from there (and a few interesting stops/places), but nearby to Yakohama main station are some nice places for lunch that I go to.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread