Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Kansai Hiroshima 5-day Pass 2017/12/3 14:46
My family and I are planning to have an 8-day trip to Osaka and Hiroshima via Kansai Airport this coming June 2018. I was planning to reserve 10 JR Kansai Hiroshima Passes online, but before I do, I'd want to ask a couple of things.

1. I've read that this pass does not include unli local use of trains/subways within Hiroshima and Kyoto. Is this true? Do I have to buy separate 1-day passes to use within those places?
2. Can we ride the Nozomi round trip to and from Hiroshima using this pass? I dont understand the "base fares" and all...Do I have to pay extra for non-reserved Nozomi tickets even if we're using this pass?
3. I've read that this pass includes fee for Haruka to and from kansai airport. But does this pass include the Nankai Line? or the JR airport express?
by OdoRi624  

Re: JR Kansai Hiroshima 5-day Pass 2017/12/4 08:06
Hi OdoRi624

1) The JR Kansai Hiroshima Pass will include all local JR trains but not the subways or private lines (like Keihan, Kintetsu, Nankai, etc.) because they're not owned by JR. So you can take a JR local train from Osaka to Universal Studios but if a train line isn't a JR line the JR pass will not work. The only exemption appears to be the Kyoto Tango Railway and the Wakayama Electric Railway.

You may or may not need one day passes in Kyoto/Osaka/Hiroshima, it depends on what you plan to do in each and how much traveling around. The Kyoto subway system is quite limited and frequently the buses go to more tourist destinations.

2) Yes you can use the Nozomi between Hiroshima and Shin-Osaka round trip. You can not reserve seats though and I believe if you want to use a shinkansen between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka you would need to pay a surcharge. You can take the Limited Express or the Special Rapid between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka for free with the pass.

3) Nope, the pass doesn't include the Nankai line because the Nankai line is not a JR line. You would need to use a JR line to use this pass, like the Haruka.

Hope this helps!

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kansai Hiroshima 5-day Pass 2017/12/4 12:04
The shinkansen between Shin-Osaka and Kyoto is not included with that pass, only Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima and the stops in between. Non-reserved seating is covered, but reserved seating you have to buy the express ticket.
http://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_hiroshima/

The JREast website has a good section explaining base and supplemental fares:
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/ticket/types.html
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kansai Hiroshima 5-day Pass 2017/12/4 13:35
For Kyoto, your JR pass would be able to take you to Kyoto Station, Nijo Palace, Arashiyama, but other places would be reached by a combination of bus, subway, or private railways which are not covered.

For Hiroshima, there is no subway system. Instead, there is a tram system which is not covered (again, not JR). But there is a tourist loop bus that is run by JR that I believe is covered.
http://www.chugoku-jrbus.co.jp/teikan/meipurupu/en/
by AT (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread