Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

BA/BS required mainly for a work visa? 2017/12/6 21:00
I keep reading online in various forums where people mention that having a BA/BS degree is usually (not always) a requirement for obtaining a work visa more than it is a requirement for the English school offering the teaching position...

I know that in some cases, certain schools only require a four year degree because that is what is required when applying for a work visa. I also know that most public schools that offer ALT positions require a four year degree even if you don't need them to sponsor you for a work visa.

I know this because I am currently on a three year Spouse of Japanese National visa and applied to public schools for ALT positions and they all told me the school requires the four year degree regardless of my visa status.

I'm currently working at two Eikaiwa part time (full time hours between both jobs) that were fine with hiring me even though I don't have a four year degree because I have ten years English teaching experience and a Spouse of Japanese National visa.

Another big reason I really believe these smaller Eikaiwa hired me in the first place is because I'm living in Shizuoka City, which is a more rural area that doesn't have many foreigners living here. The Eikaiwa here seem to be barely holding on financially, which is probably why they were desperate enough to hire me even though I don't have a four year degree.

I want to change jobs, but I am worried about really struggling to find more work at other schools that don't require a four year degree. I have been job hunting online and although there are countless schools hiring for the beginning of next year, almost all of them (throughout Japan) list a four year degree in their job requirements...but can a lot of these school be negotiated with or will most of them just say "We only hire teachers with a BA/BS degree" and hang up?

Are there really English schools in bigger cities like Tokyo, Yokohama, Nagoya, etc that will hire someone full-time (I know part-time is possible) or am I doomed to working at small Eikaiwa part-time in the countryside or in a bigger cities as well if I relocate?

by blondesurferboy  

Re: BA/BS required mainly for a work visa? 2017/12/29 04:53
So nobody knows a thing about this I guess...
by blondesurferboy rate this post as useful

Re: BA/BS required mainly for a work visa? 2017/12/29 06:26
Correct. Nobody knows or wants to do the leg work for you.

Since you are in Japan, you should contact some of the schools you are interested in yourself. It doesn't have to be at the time they are hiring with your questions. Then you'll know where you stand in the scheme of things when it comes time to hire.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: BA/BS required mainly for a work visa? 2017/12/29 08:27
There was no point answering earlier because you answered it yourself. The requirements of the places you applied to were things A, B, C, and a four-year degree. You do not have their minimum requirement. Nothing related to your status of residence or a work visa. If you wanted to petition them that your experience is a suitable substitute, then try that - without trying you will not know.
As an observation, my understanding is that the qualification is normally an undergraduate degree and while some countries that is a four year course, most of the people I know did three year degree courses (happens to be in science) and that is recognised internationally. Taking four years to do the same material seems like a wasted year. (I also have a couple of post-grad quals and a few decades experience so three vs four years is not an issue for me.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: BA/BS required mainly for a work visa? 2017/12/29 10:01
I agree that all you can do is try.

At times the ALT positions require a bachelor's degree as credential/educational background (while major Eikaiwa chains might not). But note that even if they are OK with your background you will be competing against others who have a bachelor's degree.

By the time you have three years or so of teaching experience, that might be another good timing to try, as this is often used instead of a bachelor's degree as a way to fulfill the immigration requirement.

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: BA/BS required mainly for a work visa? 2017/12/29 11:42
Expect to hit this wall (degree requirement) quite often especially when you want a job better than menial work.

Unless you are an artist. The rules are different for artists.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: BA/BS required mainly for a work visa? 2017/12/31 09:45
Im not a teacher, from what i heard the conditions for being one are temporary and i have looked into it but teaching isnt my thing.

If you really want to be an English teacher get a degree and/or experience teaching in Japan. Eikaiwa is a start but takes time. Also pass JLPT N1. If you have 3 years on a spouse visa use the time to learn japanese so you can get a better job, teaching or whatever.

If you are concerned about location, Tokyo/ kanto area is key for english-speakers and you have a better chance there however as others have said you will be mixed in with candidates that have degrees. Osaka is more Asia-focused (Korea, China, Philippene) so they dont have a lot of demand for English jobs.

I cant understand why you would change from spouse to work visa. Work to spouse makes sense.

It truly is a test of endurance.

by Hikawa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: BA/BS required mainly for a work visa? 2017/12/31 18:06
Yes, I have definitely done a lot of checking myself, but people on different forums say different things. This forum has a ton of well researched information on Japan, so I figured I would just see what some people know on here with regard to this.

I had a couple interviews at a Eikaiwa, that I interested in hiring me after the holidays. I'm keeping my options open though.

I also study Japanese daily and I'm working toward passing the JLPT N1 exam as well.

by blondesurferboy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread