Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can student visa denied due to trip? 2017/12/19 03:56
Hello everyone.

27 years old, Swedish national.

I have been accepted into a language school starting April 2018.
I am currently in Japan since the 28th of October and will stay until beginning on January 2018.

My school sent in the COE application this week and now I got a little worried that the immigration might deny the application because I'm still in the country and therefor have not supplied the "exit stamp" in the passport yet. "Entry stamp" already supplied though.

The school said it was OK and just wrote me as "Still in the country" on the application but I read some stuff online and got scared I guess.

Planning to go to the immigration office tomorrow and ask but does anyone have any experience of anecdotes regarding something like this?

Any input appreciated,
Thank you very much.

Stefan.
by Secerbus  

Re: Can student visa denied due to trip? 2017/12/19 15:54
So I take it that you are currently in Japan on Temporary Visitor status, and applied for a CoE to become a student starting in April 2018. And you will be returning to your country once before the course, correct?

I don't see anything wrong with it. Immigration authorities will send the CoE to the school, who will forward it to you back in your country (probably by then you'd be back there), where you will take it to the Embassy of Japan and apply for the student visa, and come into Japan with it. So if you have correctly specified the location where you'll apply for the visa, I see no issue with it.

It is true that the CoE process is usually when you apply from outside the country; there is another process if you intend to continue to stay in Japan to change from one status to another while staying IN Japan. But in your case (provided my assumptions are correct) you will be applying for the visa (after you obtain the CoE) from outside Japan. So this is the right procedure to go through, as far as I can tell, and I see no issue at all, as long as all other conditions are met.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread