Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Alternatives to Nara and Miyajima 2017/12/21 19:42
I recently returned from my first trip to Japan and I am already planning the next one with a friend that sadly had to drop from the original plan in the last minute... I told him that I would be OK with visiting a few places again so he can enjoy them as I did (it is his first time in the country, and probably his last, since he is not THAT interested in Japan aside from experiencing a whole different culture) but I was wondering if there might be some outdoor places that can somehow "compete" with these two natural wonders. After all, my friend is not going there looking for something in particular, he just wants to be like "WOW" wherever I end taking him to and I could really use those extra days to visit as many new places as I can...

When making your suggestions, please forget about Koya-san (already in the list, I couldn't go on my first trip because of a rainy day...) and Enoshima (already been there, wonderful place) and keep in mind that I'd want to avoid visiting places that might feel too similar. For instance, I won't be hiking the Kurama area this time since I feel Koya-san will offer a similar experience.

We'll be going in November-December and anywhere in the country is a valid option if we can go and return in the same day from Osaka or Tokyo. We are also considering spending a few days in the Takayama area, which seems pretty unique on its own way.
by Second-timer (guest)  

Re: Alternatives to Nara and Miyajima 2017/12/22 15:58
The fact that it needs to be a day trip from Osaka or Tokyo does limit your options. Staying within this kimono te I would say around Tokyo:
- Izu peninsula, specially some walks close to the coast.
- Nikko (could have snow in Dec)
- Sawara
- the Hakone round trip. Specially nice if by then the Vulcano is accessible again
-Chichibu and the pilgrimage to some of its 34 kannon temple
Both on Izu peninsula and Hakone are also famous onesen spots which is a quintessential Japanese experience. (As Long as you donft have tattoos).

Around Osaka the following comes to mind
- additional places in Kyoto
- additional places in and around Nara
- Imaicho, Hasedera, inner Nara prefecture
- Okayama& Kurashiki
- Hikone castle on Lake Biwa
- Himeji castle
- Inushima, Teshima and / or Naoshima
- Bichu Takahashi
- Ise

I guess I could go on. I would not do all these trips as day trips and if you can do some overnight stays you can extend your reach further. Eg Kanazawa, Dazaifu, Kurokawa onsen....

Enjoy traveling to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread