Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

When do japanese schools take Algebra 1? 2017/12/24 23:22
I was watching love live, and the second years were studying Algebra one, but in America, we do that in the first year. In addition, the third years were studying algebra two, which is a third year subject for us. Did they switch Algebra and Geometry in Japan?
by Nick Percent (guest)  

Re: When do japanese schools take Algebra 1? 2017/12/25 18:25
It would seem that galgebra 1h is the name of a math curriculum in the US:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_education_in_the_United_St...

As a European I have never heard of such a thing. I think over the years algebra, geometry and other maths (eg statistics) are being taught based on teaching plans that are established at either a provincial or country (or possibly even an other level). In the US it seems that algebra 1 is such an example of a curriculum. But that is US only. Why should other countries including Japan not have other maths curricula?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_education

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: When do japanese schools take Algebra 1? 2017/12/28 07:09
Algebra 1 and 2 in the US and Japan are likely very different classes. Not everyone follows the US system. In Australia, we don't even separate out the different types of mathematics - we teach several under mixed mathematics courses.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When do japanese schools take Algebra 1? 2017/12/30 00:44
And it's not even necessarily the same within the entire US and what courses are required and called can and often does change.

When I went through my city's school system, I took: Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Pre Calc and then Calculus. (along with AP Computer Science.) When my younger sister went through the same system she had Sequential 1, Sequential 2 and Sequential 3 before Pre-Calc. (I don't remember if she took Calculus.) Neither of us ever had Algebra 2.

by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread