Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinkansen reservations 2017/12/27 06:44
Hi there. I'm traveling to Japan in February for a couple weeks with friends, and after a week in Tokyo we plan on travelling by shinkansen to Hiroshima, and then back towards Kyoto and Tokyo at the end. We will all have Japan rail passes, should we bother making reservations? I suppose it wouldn't be too much trouble to write where we're going and the dates on paper, but on the off chance we need to go last minute, do they usually get 100% booked in February?

Any tips for the shinkansen?

Thanks!
by AEC91  

Re: Shinkansen reservations 2017/12/27 19:56
If you travel in a group and want to stick together, definitely make reservations. It's usually easy to get a non-reserved seat, but even a twosome is already more problematic.

By the way, traveling "last minute" does not mean you can't reserve, unless you mean it literally.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen reservations 2017/12/28 00:25
as far as I know you can also make a reservation and then change it at no cost as you have JR pass. So yes, in a group, reservation would be preferred. For travelling alone, I normally don't go with reservation.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Shinkansen reservations 2017/12/28 08:26
Yes - you should exchange your rail pass early (in Tokyo) and book your seats on the Kyoto-Hiroshima-Kyoto piece as a minimum. The rail pass gives you access to the (few) Hikari, (mainly) Sakura and (occassional) Kodama trains. Most of the time people travelling on a JRP will be getting the Sakura from Shin-Osaka (or from Hiroshima on the return) and the reserved seats get fully booked. Non-reserved seats are an option, but to avoid the potential for standing on that leg, I would just do the reservations.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread