Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese mobile calling? 2017/12/30 02:31
Konnichiwa!

I have a question!I know that in Japan people use メール (Mail) instead of SMS.But what about mobile calls (cell phone) like iPhone?Do they call with the Mail adress like Softbank or Docomo or do they have a normal mobile phone number?If I want to ask a peoples LINE Account what do I need to know?
Sorry for these lots of question but I would really like to know..

Thank you!
by Muhammed Kenji (guest)  

Re: Japanese mobile calling? 2017/12/30 12:48
Dont they use Line instead of SMS?

Pretty sure calls are the same though.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese mobile calling? 2017/12/30 15:41
Phone calls are made through the phone or some people us me with friends line to call each other.
For line, you just ask the other person to give you their contact. There are a number of different ways, from QR code to shaking the phone, to exchange contact details.

Regarding SMS, I would say it is no longer used very frequently. If you have the line contact of someone you would use line. If not, eg business partner, you would either call or send an email.

It is true that in Japan many (business men/women) have a mobile email that is different from their normal email. I think it is for those who still use “foldable”, non-smart mobiles. But more and more use smartphones now.

Enjoy your life in Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese mobile calling? 2017/12/30 15:46
Many people of all ages use the e-mail address provided by their mobile carrier as a personal e-mail address, no matter what type of phone they have. Services like GMail are not ubiquitous like they are in some other countries.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese mobile calling? 2017/12/30 23:26
Japanese old-fashioned mobile phones can send e-mail, although yours can't do that.
that is the reason why many Japanese still use the old ones.
In general, Japanese don't trust Gmail. In many cases, you can't receive the secured mail by Gmail in Japan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread