Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shiretoko or Kamikochi 2017/12/30 12:35
Hi All,

Ifm planning a two-week trip to Japan in late June/ early July 2018 and I now have to choose between visiting Shiretoko or Kamikochi. I was really hoping I could go to both beautiful places but there isnft enough time.

We are renting a car in Hokkaido and will be using public transport to get around Tokyo, Kyoto, Takayama etc.

If I choose Shiretoko Ifll have to skip Takayama, Shirakawa-go and Kamikochi. On the other hand if I choose Kamikochi, Ifll be giving up a visit to Shiretoko and Kushiro.

Ifm travelling with my parents in their 60s so wefre hoping to go for easy walks to enjoy the scenery and fresh air.

Any advice on which would be more recommended? Thank you!
by Walle516 (guest)  

Re: Shiretoko or Kamikochi 2017/12/30 14:09

I have visited Kamikochi, Takayama as well as Shirakawago several years ago, and I would say the first two places would be best visited in autumn, while Shirakawago is magical in winter time.
I just spent almost a month travelling around Hokkaido in June and July this year. Since you would already be there, and driving; and you are visiting Hokkaido at one of the best seasons, Shiretoko and many other places in the island ought to be your better choice.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shiretoko or Kamikochi 2017/12/30 15:51
Takayama can get quite hot in summer. Unless you are from a tropical country or dont mind hot humid weather, I would choose Hokkaido in summer. It is the ideal time for Hokkaido.

Regarding hiking on shiretoko look up information on the internet. It is a hiking area, but while there are a few really easy, few minutes walks, most other hiking trails require some preparedness. Shiretoko is also famous for their bears and absence (or nearly) of human population. So just compare what you want to do and can do, to what would be possible for you on Shiretoko.

There are other hiking areas on Hokkaido as well.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread