Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Vaping in Japan (Juul) 2018/1/14 13:27
I have a couple questions about vaping in Japan. I am attempting to switch over from cigarettes to vapes.
I'm aware nicotine based juice is illegal to sell, but is it currently illegal to posses and import?

Is juul.jp legal(or even legitimate)?
Since they are a company based in Japan selling nic juice by-proxy I'm wondering how sketchy that is. (I would think it's less sketcy to just pay a friend back in the US to buy one from a gas station / tobacco shop and ship to me - providing possession and import are legal)

Juul.jp's read me page leads me to believe there's a possibility that it could become illegal to import, and I'm wondering if it currently is - I'm aware of the 120ml limit and don't plan on importing more.

by Guest (guest)  

Re: Vaping in Japan (Juul) 2018/1/14 23:01
As far as their explanation goes, as the liquid containing nicotine has not been permitted under the pharmaceutical business law in Japan, its "sales/transaction in Japan" is not allowed. However, this entity is based outside Japan (even though the site is written in Japanese, toward the Japanese audience/potential buyers), so buying from them and having it sent into Japan would be OK, just like you suggesting having a friend in the States send some over.

However, should you ever get asked where you got it from and things like that (under what circumstances, I don't know, though), a clear, substantiated answer would be needed.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Vaping in Japan (Juul) 2018/1/14 23:11
From JT (Japan Tabacco)'s website:

"E-cigarette (or electronic vapor products) usually works by heating liquid containing nicotine to generate vapor.

E-cigarette does not use tobacco leaves, and it is our understanding that there is none sold in Japan as "tobacco products." Concerning e-cigarette containing nicotine, the law deems the liquid as "pharmaceutical products" and the device to inhale the liquid containing nicotine as "medical devices." Therefore, sales of these would require permission from Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare. Therefore, it is our understanding that e-cigarettes sold in Japan do not contain nicotine. Please note that JT Group does not sell e-cigarettes in Japan."

Here you can tell how "sales" is not allowed.

They make a distinction between the above and HTP (heated tobacco products) or HnB (heat-not-burn products), whereby tobacco "leaves" are used to generate vapor, but not by conventional burning, as with paper cigarettes. Those are tobacco products, so not subject to the above restriction.

Re: Vaping in Japan (Juul) 2018/1/16 21:35
Since I cannot verify the legitimacy of juul.jp I think it would be better to get a friend in the states to send me one from one of the numerous stores there known to sell authentic products.

However, should you ever get asked where you got it from and things like that (under what circumstances, I don't know, though), a clear, substantiated answer would be needed.
In this case, would saying a friend from the US sent me one be OK? As for customs declarations and what not - is there anything he should declare or specify? (I would like him to send several "pods" as well - each containing 0.7 ml of nicotine juice, keeping me well under the 120ml limit)

Just trying to be thorough :)
by OP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Vaping in Japan (Juul) 2018/1/16 22:37
OP,

I believe that should suffice. As I read the explanation on Japan Tobacco's website, I have a clearer understanding about what is the issue - "sales" of those products in Japan. So yes, bringing it in via privately importing and using it in Japan seems to be no issue.

Re: Vaping in Japan (Juul) 2018/1/18 19:13
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread