Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wifi device in Hokkaido and rural places 2018/1/17 03:04
at some wifi device websites, they offer some premium models for Hokkaido or rural places. If i rent standard wifi device and go to just cities like Sapporo,Asahikawa,Abashiri or Kiso valley towns,Amanaohashidate etc.. cant i use standard wifi device? because the cellular network also works at main places, right ? im not thinking about any mountaineering or trekking. so is it okay to rent standard wifi device for Hokkaido and other rural places ?
by Melike Ozturk (guest)  

Re: Wifi device in Hokkaido and rural places 2018/1/17 21:36
Hi Melike. I'm a Japanese working in Tokyo for over a decade.

First of all, you of course can use standard WiFi device.

As long as network, there is technically no differences between standard WiFi routers and so-called premium ones.

In Japan, most campanies, who offer SIM card or pocket WiFi, use only 3 mobile network providers: Docomo, au (KDDI), and SoftBank.

Based on the same network coverage offered by the three, they compete each other with their "original" plans, which differs on prices, campaigns, etc.

And more importantly, as long as you go far-away-spots from cities, you will be connected with the internet.

If you have the exact place to go, maybe I can check the network coverage on behalf of you on the official websites of the three in Japanese.

Lastly, I put a (almost) comprehensive comparison lists of Japanese SIM Card/pocket WiFi router providers so that you can search until you are satisfied with.

Japan Prepaid SIM Cards / Rental Pocket WiFi Routers Comprehensive Comparison Lists
https://pocketwifi.me/wifi/168

Hope you'll have a wonderful experience in Japan.
by Gatigati rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi device in Hokkaido and rural places 2018/1/17 22:02
Thankyou so much for the explanation:)
I will go to Nagoya, Amanohashidate, Ine no funaya, Kiso valley(Magome, Tsumago, Naraijuku), Nagano, Yudanaka onsen, Asahikawa, Abashiri, Otaru, Toya, Ginzan onsen, Ouchijuku, Shiroishi(in Miyagi), and Yokote(Akita).
I would be grateful if you can check the network.
Arigatou gozaimasu ^^
Melike
by ebike rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi device in Hokkaido and rural places 2018/1/18 22:41
I checked every regions/places you specified, and categorized in order of connectivities.

I just give you one tip for choosing pocket WiFi for the traveler get around various places in Japan.
You are better off selecting a pocket WiFi with the network offered by Docomo rather than au (KDDI) and SoftBank. That's because Docomo have the widest network coverage.

But either way, the regions/places you want to go is fine with the connectivity.

Great Connectivity.
---------------
Nagoya,
Nagano,
Asahikawa,
Otaru,
Abashiri,
Shiroishi(in Miyagi)
Yokote(Akita)
---------------

Good Connectivity.
---------------
Amanohashidate,
Ine no funaya,
Toya,
---------------

Okay around the stations and main facilities.
But may be slightly disconnected far from them.
And be sure that any WiFi routers basically cannot be used in mountain areas.
---------------
Kiso valley(Magome, Tsumago, Naraijuku),
Yudanaka onsen,
Ginzan onsen,
Ouchijuku,
---------------

by Gatigati rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi device in Hokkaido and rural places 2018/1/18 23:20
Thank you so much for your help^^
Arigatou gozaimasu :)
Melike

Re: Wifi device in Hokkaido and rural places 2018/1/24 17:25
We rented a standard Pocketwifi device from Softbank and used it whilst driving around Hokkaido for over a week, only in the most remote areas on a mountain pass we had no coverage, otherwise it worked perfectly fine. I would not spend any extra money on renting a premium model :-)
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi device in Hokkaido and rural places 2018/1/24 17:27
Thank you for the information, i rented standard one:)

reply to this thread