Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How can a South African pilot move to Japan 2018/1/18 01:19
Hello all!
I'm 27 and I am a first officer here in South Africa. I have a Masters in Aeronautical Engineering. I do have 2500 hours of flight experience. (If needed I will work in my current position until I have the correct amount of hours for companies in Japan.) Do any of you people know how I would be able to move into Japan and work as a pilot there, and what all my requirements would be?
Thanks for the help!
Liam Riley
by Liam (guest)  

Re: How can a South African pilot move to Japan 2018/1/18 16:10
Do you speak, read, and write fluent Japanese (N1 level), and can you understand all the flight terminology in Japanese (written and spoken)?
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can a South African pilot move to Japan 2018/1/18 16:26
Since you would be part of a flight crew association. It would be better to ask there than non flight crew on a random website.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: How can a South African pilot move to Japan 2018/1/18 17:29
Yes, I do have my Jptl at n1 level.
by Liam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can a South African pilot move to Japan 2018/1/18 18:42
You can move by airplane to Japan, bad Joke ;)

But best is to find some company who can sponsor you.
That I believe would be the best option.
And as mentioned before better to ask some people who are in the branch as you
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: How can a South African pilot move to Japan 2018/1/18 21:41
If you have passed N1, you should be able to do your research in Japanese.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can a South African pilot move to Japan 2018/1/19 06:35
N1 is a great start, but it won't cover the required flight terminology. As the above commenter said, if you have N1 searching in Japanese will likely be more useful. Consider contacting some airlines within Japan to ask about their employment policies from out of country - would they require you to resit for your pilot's licence, etc.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can a South African pilot move to Japan 2018/1/19 14:36
Jetstar Japan often have advertisements for Pilots on its Careers page. Currently they have an ad for an A320 First Officer and Pilot, but I don't know what their language requirements are.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can a South African pilot move to Japan 2018/1/19 15:20
Liam,
Rishworth Aviation (a worldwide airline employment agency) is also advertising for B767 First Officers and Captains to fly for Air Japan, a subsidary of ANA. They cover the international resort areas and fly out of Narita. They are more concerned about English levels, than Japanese. Don't know about the visa requirements.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can a South African pilot move to Japan 2018/1/22 14:19
Do you speak, read, and write fluent Japanese (N1 level)

Seriously, i see this bs too often in this forum. Do you think pilots from non-japanese airlines speak japanese just because they have operation in Japan?

There's a considerable shortage of pilots in the world, and also in Japan, so there's great demand. I know of a few friends that know zero about Japan and the language, and they were hired here as pilots, with JAL and ANA respectively. I cannot say about what's necessary in your resume, but at least not the language.

by again... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can a South African pilot move to Japan 2018/1/22 22:10
I donft know about flight hours or necessary requirements but I know world wide the language that is used for pilots is English. Even the flight towers in japan for domestic flights give the landing permission in English!

The Japanese language is not an issue. I was on an air Asia flight a few weeks ago in Indonesia, the captain was German and spoke over the loud speaker in English and the cabin crew translated to Indonesian.

There is s lack of qualified pilots in Japan and its because they donft have English ability and donft understand what the control tower is saying.

Good luck to you . Ifm sure you can work for an airline in japan if you are qualified. But one thing you will not need is Japanese language ability!
by Someguy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread