Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Divorce visa question 2018/1/19 14:33
Hello . I am married in japan and now studing in Japanese school , and already paid for 1 year . But my husband wants to divorce. What will happen ? Will I need to leave japan and wait student visa in my country , or I can stay here , continue to studing and wait student visa .
by maxlove  

Re: Divorce visa question 2018/1/19 17:32
if you have a spouse visa, you may have to depart.

but if you apply for a student visa, you will be able to stay until the results of immigration's decision.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce visa question 2018/1/19 17:36
Now my visa is spouse
by maxlove rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce visa question 2018/1/19 21:10
How long you are in Japan?. If you are living long time in japan, the immigration can consider about teiju visa. Many people who got divorced are getting Teiju visa. You can change the visa category also.
by guest55 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce visa question 2018/1/20 03:27
I am in japan only 3 month
by maxlove rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce visa question 2018/1/20 17:19
If you have paid in the tuition for one year and started your studies already, you may want to talk to your school to ask for help in changing from "spouse of Japanese national" to "student" resident status while remaining in Japan.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce visa question 2018/1/23 10:25
no you will not leave japan.. once divorce just notify immigration. .. you can stay till your spouse visa expire.

you have a good reason for staying in japan which is your studies
if you have 3years spouse visa .. dont change to student visa ..
if you have 1year spouse visa switch to students visa.

once divorced just change your sponsor from you husband to a PR holder or japanese national.
there are 27 visa catigories in japan you need to research . and consult a lawyer .

if your husband ask you to sign for divorce never sign . put all your document away from him.

1, he can take you to family court .. there the reason for divorce will be discause. if is not your fault .. you qualify for special permit to stay in japan.

2, then if he divorce you illegally you can sue him to family court .. if you win you can apply for special permit to stay in japan.

by chike20 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce visa question 2018/1/23 13:29
Once divorced you cannot stay in Japan on a spouse visa

The immigration control law has been changed in 2012. Persons with resident status of
Japanese spouse or spouse of permanent resident in Japan should change to other resident
status within 6 months when you are divorced or your spouse has died. Before the law is
changed, you could stay in Japan until your visa expires even you are divorced or your spouse
has died. But from now on, you should decide and conduct yourself within the six month.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Divorce visa question 2018/1/24 21:15
Dont worry. They will not immediately give any decision. They can give you time for 6 months to change to other category.
by guest55 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread