Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Totoro bus stop (OITA) access, car 2018/1/23 02:00
Hi. I'll be visiting the Beppu/Oita/Miyazaki region in my visit to Kyushu and in case I get some time I want to rent a car for a few hours to visit the infamous Totoro bus stop near Saiki in Oita pref.

I saw there were rental shops in Oita, Beppu, Saiki and Usuki and according to Google maps the travel time should be around 1 - 1,5 hours, not sure what the roads are like from there as some seemed quite windy and small looking at the map.

The car GPS might take me on other roads perhaps as well, so not sure about that.

Any suggestions or ideas?
by Totoro fan (guest)  

Re: Totoro bus stop (OITA) access, car 2018/1/23 11:35
Sorry to be a downer. But you know the bus stop is just a regular bus stop that looks nothing like the movie and has a painted plywood cutout of the characters.

Sorry I'm not trying to shoot down the idea. As I love the Ghibli movies also. But this bus stop is not worth wasting half a day on.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Totoro bus stop (OITA) access, car 2018/1/23 12:35
Taking a rent-a-car at Saiki for a few hours is a good idea. The Totoro bus stop is preserved by the local people. There are a lot of Totoro and May's dolls made by local people near the calm and serene bus stop booth. Although this is not a tourist spot, you can feel a real rural atomospher of the Totoro world.
by EZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Totoro bus stop (OITA) access, car 2018/1/23 23:13
We went there this month. It's about 30 mins drive from Higashi Kyushu Express Saiki IC. Locate Road Station Ume (Michi no Eki Ume). First head to the road station near the bridge. There's very local map in the restaurant casher. The staff there should be the ones to know the location very well. Although the local map is in Japanese, you'll see where it is. On your way back to Saiki city centre, turn left at the second traffic signal and drive for about 10 minutes. There're direction notices in Japanese. It's very rural area.
by KyushuLocal rate this post as useful

Re: Totoro bus stop (OITA) access, car 2018/1/23 23:51
Probably a google map links could help most?
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread