Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

DIY Build own house in Japan 2018/1/24 11:12
Hi everyone,

I was considering to buy a cheap land in country side of saitama or ome area.
Due high pricing, i was aiming to non buildable land about 200m2 or so to find cheaper price.

I d like to know (from some one who has actually experiences)
that if i try to DIY build a small house about 30m2 1floor place with solar electricity and
own tanking water supply (pretty much with no public utility connections, such as gas or sewer.
Also trying my best to stay away from city or housing community and avoid bother my neighbours.

It is possible that cops will came and stop my work or force me to destroy my construction? Even give me a big ticket or being sued for some whatever local regulation?

thank you for your help.
by yaminotenshl  

Re: DIY Build own house in Japan 2018/1/24 14:43
There is a law called 建築基準法 and you have to build a house following it. You need to apply to the government before starting to build it as well.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: DIY Build own house in Japan 2018/1/24 15:40
I d like to know (from some one who has actually experiences)
that if i try to DIY build a small house about 30m2 1floor place with solar electricity and
own tanking water supply (pretty much with no public utility connections, such as gas or sewer.
Also trying my best to stay away from city or housing community and avoid bother my neighbours.

It is possible that cops will came and stop my work or force me to destroy my construction? Even give me a big ticket or being sued for some whatever local regulation?

I'm not sure what "experiences" you are seeking from posters. For one, I have never DIY built a house against the law. But as a local resident, I know that even "homeless" people who build tents (or the like) are visited by the police, because if the builder faces danger, taxes need to be used to save the builder, and whatever comes out of the house such as dirty water may destroy the environment, among many other reasons. There are also groups fighting against certain illegal constructions, and they are almost always aiming for law suits if the construction cannot be stopped.

Laws are there for reasons. All you have to do is to follow them, or to fight to change the law so that you can legally build what you need to.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread