Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Oral health of foreigner 2018/1/25 21:46
I am purely vegetarian living in Japan for more than 10 years. My wisdom tooth on right jaw is coming out slowly since Oct 2017. So it was paining but now it is fine. I had had gum swelling on the 2nd number tooth from wisdom tooth(right jaw) in Dec 2017. I went to dentist, he told that there may be inflammation, or crack or tooth nerves might be died and recommended tooth nerve treatment. But I did not go for it. I tried Indian yoga and ayurveda dentistry remedies and food recommendations of modern dentistry too for 1 and half month. It almost recovered. I went to another experienced dentist for second opinion on 15th Jan, he told that you had gum swelling on other tooth because wisdom tooth is creating pressure on other locations and no need to worry.
Modern dentistry says we must have vitamin D and K for gum and teeth health and sunlight is the richest source of vitamin D than food. It recommend that we must have enough vitamin D(particularly D3) and vitamin K2 for calcium and mineral absorption for healthy teeth. I found that I have very less resources in Japan for vitamin D. After I am taking vitamin D supplement and sunlight regularly and changes in food, I am absolutely fine now. I just want to know whether how foreigners living in Japan get treatment when they have gum or tooth problem. How many times everybody visit dentist during their stay in Japan?
by Dental (guest)  

Re: Oral health of foreigner 2018/1/26 13:01
I visit dentist every semester (3 months)
Just for check up.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Oral health of foreigner 2018/1/26 13:05
I go 2 times a year for a professional cleaning,
no problems so far!
by @... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Oral health of foreigner 2018/1/26 13:07
"Foreigners" are very broad, but my non-Japanese husband goes for a check up and cleaning every 3 - 6 months, he tends to get tooth and gum problem easily, and after a check-up he might go like once a week for a few times if they find something. He has had nerve treatment too. Yes, modern dentistry.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Oral health of foreigner 2018/1/26 16:11
"I have very less resources in Japan for vitamin D."
I don't agree with you.
because you are a pure vegetarian, such a problem has occurred.
your life style leads you to your unhealthy condition.
your modern dentist explains you that point politely.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Oral health of foreigner 2018/1/31 00:33
I'm vegan. Normal vegan diet, regular brushing of teeth. No supplements. I haven't been to a dentist in a quarter of a century.
by D. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Oral health of foreigner 2018/1/31 01:14
I'm not a foreigner, but I think Japanese people like me are commonly told that you can get vitamin D from naturally (meaning sunlight) dried foods such as hoshi-shiitake (dried shiitake mushrooms) as well as other dried traditional vegan goodies you can find at the "kanbutsu" corner/retailer. We are also told that vitamin K can be obtained from natto. In fact, natto is good for a variety of things.

You can obtain information about nutrition from your local public health center (hokenjo). I hope this has been "good information" for you.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Oral health of foreigner 2018/1/31 11:56
Sufficient vitamin D can be gained from 10 minutes sunlight a day. Unless you live in a cave, most people get sufficient sunlight without needing supplements.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Oral health of foreigner 2018/1/31 21:12
Yes Sunlight UV rays is the richest source of vitamin D than food as per doctors. Our body will not create vitamin D unless maximum body is exposed to sunlight as per doctors. I already started taking it from my home window on week ends. The vitamin D will not be created when we wear cloths. I also dont supplement. Yes Natto contains K2 vitamin. I started eating it with Indian spice to add the taste. Of course Japanese people eat fish which has vitamin D. But I am experiencing that sunlight exposure on the exposed body is best. I am a lacto-vegeterian. Our Indian cow milk contains vitamin D in ample. But I am not sure about milk in Japan. The milk packets dont mention vitamin D on the cover. But I started taking organic Cheese which also contains vitamin D.
by Dental (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Oral health of foreigner 2018/2/8 18:03
Correct me if Ifm wrong but Ifm pretty sure all milk in all countries (except maybe China) contain ample amounts of vitamin D.
by Someguy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Oral health of foreigner 2018/2/9 12:12
You don't need to be naked to get Vitamin D from the sun. You can get it with any skin being exposed to the sun - the more skin exposed, the quicker you receive your daily dose (so in winter, when only your face may be uncovered, it takes longer).

Whoever told you otherwise was lying or didn't know what they were talking about.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Oral health of foreigner 2018/2/10 08:53
For the average clothed person, it takes about ten minutes of sunlight to get enough. Hence my comment about people living in caves not getting any sunlight at all. Yes, takes longer in winter.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Oral health of foreigner 2018/2/10 21:39
Thanks for kind comment. Many doctors says that we must be exposed to sunlight in between 11:00am to 14:00pm so that we can be exposed to UV rays for vitamin D creation. I saw this news. What Japanese professor says about the current dentistry in Japan. I am agree with it.
https://japantoday.com/category/features/health/professor-says-teachin...
The dentist gives more emphasis on fillings and treatments and suggest you to brushing and flossing only. Nobody will tell you natural remedies and tell that the food is main base for good oral health. I am convinced that main base is food and I tried on myself since December and no need for nerve treatment which dentist recommended me. The brushing and flossing only is not important. Many people who brush only once dont have any problem.

by Dental (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread