Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cherry Blossom in May / Nagano Prefecture 2018/1/28 18:13
We will arrive in Japan on April 30th and I am currently researching an option to see Sakura without too much of a detour.

I came across the following article "Roof of Japan" (http://www.deepjapan.org/a/4385) claiming that there is a good chance to experience the cherry blossom close to Nagano prefecture, Ina City in particular, in Golden Week given its altitude.

However I read other article saying Sakura will be over in late April in this region.

Does anyone have visit Nagano in early May?
by vanegg  

Re: Cherry Blossom in May / Nagano Prefecture 2018/1/29 10:51
There are different types of sakura. Basically speaking, there are two. First, there are the "standard" type, which bloom first, typically in early April in many places. They have simple petals. Then there are "yae-zakura", which bloom later. They have complex (double) petals and are very bushy and full looking. The end of April or first part of May is pretty typical for yae-zakura here in Nagano Prefecture.

I'd skip Ina City, though. You're probably talking about Takato Castle, and they have the regular type at their big festival, which will be finished when you visit.

Nagano Prefecture in early May is a definite Yes! I'd say go to Matsumoto, see the major sights (the Japanese national treasure Matsumoto Castle, the Ukiyoe Museum, the Kusama Yayoi exhibition, Nawate Street, Nakamachi, and so on. Also, take the wooded trail from Joyama Park up to Alps Park in the morning, and look out over the snow covered Japan Alps lit by the morning sun. That's an awesome view! And you'll probably see some yae-zakura in town or along the trail.

Speaking of yae-zakura, some places in central Nagano Prefecture have special types, such as GREEN or YELLOW yae-zakura blossoms. (the variety names are gyoiko, ukon, and so on). Just search online for "green sakura blossoms" and you'll see what I mean. They are totally amazing to see up close. There's a university called Matsumoto Shika Daigaku in Shiojiri, Nagano Prefecture, that has a special yae-zakura festival usually at the beginning of May during Golden Week, so you might try to visit that. And there's even a free bus to the campus from Shiojiri train station.

If you get to that part of Nagano Prefecture, then also add Narai (also called Narai Juku) to your itinerary. It's cooler there, so any yae-zakura would probably be a week or so later. And the old buildings in Narai are awesome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narai-juku

Good luck!

by Yae Zakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry Blossom in May / Nagano Prefecture 2018/1/29 18:01
Takato Castle, as mentioned above, is at elevation, but as you can see in the link, below, their regular-type blossoms will be finished by the end of April.

Here's data for the past six years: https://takato-inacity.jp/h29/

Definitely search for the yae-zakura type, and at elevation in Nagano Prefecture, if you will visit on the late side.

by Yae Zakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry Blossom in May / Nagano Prefecture 2018/1/30 04:47
While there are 600 (or so) varieties of cherry and some do bloom at different times of year, I would have thought may would be late for blossom, even given the altitude. One of the nice things about Nagano is that it also has apple and apricot blossom in different spots, but I would expect those to be better in April, rather than May.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread