Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

AirBnB 2018/1/29 18:44
I do have another question..your input is really valuable for our planning - so thank you very much in advance!

We are planning to spend a week (May3rd-10th) in Osaka and do many side-trips to Kyoto, Nara, Kobe etc. Given that we will have our base in Osaka for one week, it would be great to have a 'homey' place to stay.

I had good experiences using AirBnB travelling in Europe and I was wondering if you can share any experience using AirBnB in Osaka/Japan? I read that it was illegal-ish to rent out appartments, but then also it seem a law has passed?
I would hate to receive a cancellation since our stay collides with Golden Week..
by vanegg  

Re: AirBnB 2018/1/29 19:09
Osaka is one of only two places where it is fully legal, but only if the host has a particular licence and permission from their landlord to sublet (if they do not own the property).

While AirBnB has its own charms, there are some things you should consider before eliminating traditional accommodation. Check-in and out times are more strict, you may not be able to store your luggage before/after check-in/out, there is no reception desk to contact in an emergency, the host may be difficult to reach in the event that you need help with something (how to use an appliance, hot water is out, etc.), and so on. Yes, the "homey" feel is great, but is it the most convenient option for travel in a foreign country?
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: AirBnB 2018/1/29 19:28
Thank you for the feedback!

When browsing through AGODA's offers, I always come across Agoda Home Appartments, which seem to be similar to AirBnB. Can anyone recommend/comment on these offers?
by vanegg rate this post as useful

Re: AirBnB 2018/1/30 00:41
Never ever under any circumstances get suckered into an Agoda apartment rental. Stick to real hotels.

My Agoda apartment rental was the worst experience I ever had in dozens of trips to Japan since 1978. You are completely at the whims and mercy of the apartment owner, and if he wants to cancel at the last minute, or walk to you to an inferior apartment or location other than then one you foolishly thought you had "reserved," or in my case actually paid for (!), Agoda will do absolutely 100% nothing to help you. You are on your own, often with no way to actually contact the apartment owner. You and your family could easily end up in the street if you foolishly believed that Agoda had "confirmed" your apartment reservation, and that you had a great place to stay.

Use Agoda for hotels, but never for apartments. You'll also find out that Agoda is just fronting these apartments for Booking.com, yet another Priceline company, who is then the middle man for a Chinese real estate agent, who represents the Chinese owner. Think nothing can ever go wrong with that? If so, then good luck to you.
by John Sanders (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: AirBnB 2018/1/30 00:53
I was reading an article recently about Kyoto blaming AirBnB for some of the problem of too many tourists overcrowding the city and reducing it's charm and livability. Tourist numbers can be somewhat controlled by regulating the number of hotel permits. But they cannot control the number of secret unlicensed apartment rentals. And they don't get to collect hotel tax on AirBnB to help build tourist services for the increase in visitors.

Maybe something to keep in mind if you are trying to be a responsible traveler.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: AirBnB 2018/1/30 03:22
Thank you for the answers.
I do have a love/hate relationship as I am based in berlin and we do have problems with affordable rent and many unlicensed apartments for short term rent but on the other hand I had some good experience traveling within Europe.
I did actually booked the Chuan House Osaka since it has a little kitchen area and there are many goood reviews on booking.
by vanegg rate this post as useful

Re: AirBnB 2018/1/30 06:29
My last trip I used booking.com to book all my Airbnb style apartments. I didn't have any issues. I had previously read about the common issues. But all worked out in the end.

I only do it because 99% of hotels don't cater for a family of 5 (2A+3C) without booking two separate rooms on different floors. As the double and triple rooms are never close to each other.

When I arrived at all the apartments, they had airbnb, booking.com, trip advisor agoda stickers and advertisements on the front doors and windows. they never hid the fact they were holiday rentals.

But yes since people have had issues before. I would do your homework on each apartment you may consider. booking.com has a feedback/review system, and I shied away from the ones that had some negative reviews.

Yes some of the check in times are strict. But that is easily overcome with simple travel planning. And yes most time you cannot drop off your bags before check-in or pick your bags up later after check-out. But when you are saving 5000 yen a night, then paying 2000 yen to a baggage holder for one day doesn't hurt.

It is really up to you. Compare both options and find the happy medium the suits your needs.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: AirBnB 2018/1/30 14:28
Personally I have a negative impression about AirBnB so my opinion might be biased. I have heard most if not all of AirBnB are illegal in Japan. They do not register as accommodation and do not pay tax, etc. I have read a blog telling how to judge if a specific AirBnB is illegal: If it does not show external appearance then it is highly probable that it is illegal. I am rather convinced since I have never saw a hotel that does not show the external appearance on the web page.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: AirBnB 2018/1/30 15:06
most rooms( I mean more than 90%) of AirBnb (and similar ones) are still illegal in Japan. most don't fit the laws. most of owners don't respect the laws.
you have to know that, if you have a trouble, no neighbors will help you, probably they hate the users.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: AirBnB 2018/1/30 20:35
Thawt with DANGER...be warned!.. as mentioned in the previous posts..you have no come-back and often will not be able to locate or contact the 'renter'..who in many cases is not the owner!!!... she you find the hot water is not working..faulty appliances..and no security and no insurance!!!. Hotels and Ryokans a safer and better quality stay!!!.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: AirBnB 2018/1/30 23:59
I always stay in AirBnB in Japan. Have done for years. I've had to use hotels several times on trips and been glad to escape them, in a couple of cases cutting a trip short. I can't speak for 5* hotels but for the general ones, the ones I have used have smelled of cigarette smoke (including the 'non-smoking' floors). In some cases the rooms have been maintained at such a high temperature, I've had to strip down to cope.

Read the reviews on AirBnB and find a good host who speaks English. Hotel staff are not the best paid people in the world, and for that money, you won't always get fluent English, whatever the advert says. A good host will be there for you if you need them. They work hard as their reviews matter. It is a respectable business. Nothing beats being able to cook your own food and live like a local. For anyone on a restrictive diet, it's a necessity.

AirBnB gets blamed for everything. There are far more hotel rooms than AirBnB lets, so too many tourists can only be laid at the doors of hotel owners and the JP government's own pro-tourism policy. If there is a lack of social housing, it is not because of AirBnB but because local governments have failed to build it for decades, refusing to spend the money and just dumping unfortunate families on to an unregulated private housing market, regardless of the quality of landlord, property or tenant.

AirBnB is the way to travel and I would no longer spend more than a single night in a hotel. It has saved Japanese tourism for the new wave of tourists, as Japan previously had zip in the way of villa rentals and was entirely dependent upon the hotel chains, many of whom are now lobbying against AirBnB to maintain their own monopoly.

The one caveat is that AirBnB is for responsible people. People who research JP etiquette and are really prepared to live like the locals. In Japan that means no loud parties, no getting drunk and upsetting the neighbours, and making sure you put the right recycling out on the right day. It's not hard, but anyone who cannot be trusted to behave responsibly away from home should go to a hotel, where multiple staff members can act as virtual parents for those who haven't quite grown up yet.
by D. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: AirBnB 2018/2/2 05:50
Ifve been travelling to japan for years now and this Xmas decided to try Airbnb. I have mixed feelings and my suggestion is try to find a place that has self checkin . My Airbnb in Tokyo was a disaster and left me stranded in the cold with a toddler. I didnft hear from the owner at all leading up to the checkin day, morning of the checkin day I received an notification I was to meet the greeter in which I did not receive any direction. I went to the unit and tried calling multiple times but phone was off the hook, I finally received a message asking where I was in which I replied outside the unit waiting, where do we meet to exchange the key. That was the last I heard from them. Airbnb couldnft get in contact either and I received a full refund an hour later. Lucky I could find 2 rooms in the same hotel at a similar rate. My Osaka airbnb was really professional the door was left open key on table and I received messages constantly asking how I was if I need help, suggestions on current things happening in Osaka etc. noisiest place I have ever stayed in though but that was my fault for not doing my research.

Long story short Airbnb is a risk in japan and you really need to weigh up the savings.
by Dan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: AirBnB 2018/2/2 06:55
I used Air B n B during 2 week stay in Japan and had zero difficulties. I would highly recommend each place that I stayed. I chose places with English speaking owners and excellent reviews only.
by momnipotent1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread