Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Going overseas with a non-parent 2018/1/30 03:57
I've saved up quite a bit of money from working, and my grandmother and I plan to go to Japan to visit for two weeks this Winter.

I'll be a few months from 18 when we plan to go, but I'm unsure if there are any documents we need signed by my parents.(Consent forms, ect.)

I've heard that they're not required, but recommended , and that we ought to check the policy of the airline we plan to use for specifications, but I didn't see anything on their site pertaining to this when I briefly took a look.(Maybe I should search a bit more, haha.)

Any advice on what we need to do? We're from TX if that helps.
by A (guest)  

Re: Going overseas with a non-parent 2018/1/30 15:46
To my knowledge you shouldn't need consent and most airlines you wouldn't need consent after the age of 16 "Anyone under age 17 who is flying alone on an international flight must have a signed note from a parent or responsible adult giving permission, destination and length of stay" . Since you will be 17 it should be smooth sailing, even most hotels would probably let you book a room for yourself at that age so I wouldn't be worried at all.
by Dan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going overseas with a non-parent 2018/1/30 19:29
I went with a niece of 16 years. I found a consent letter using Google and got both parents to sign. Though, never asked to show it. Nothing went wrong, but in case of medical or legal emergency worth carrying.
by Kmb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going overseas with a non-parent 2018/1/31 02:34
Alright, thanks for the advice, guys.

The travel agent my grandmother consulted was trying to tell her it was a must, and I just didn't think so.

I appreciate it!
by A (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread