Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan post Bank card 2018/1/30 10:37
Hello friends
Hope everything is going good with everybody here ,
I will receieve the card Bank from post Bank
I have two questions I want to know about :

1- can I use this card on internet ( for booking hotels or flights or purchase on internet ) ?

2- can I use my post Bank card outside Japan when I go back to my country ) ?

3- can I buy for example something from airport and pay with this card ?

I appreciate so much your kind support and your answers in advance

Thanks to this forum and for everyone here , actually itfs so helpful for foreigners who live and work in japan

Wish you all wonderful day full of pleasure and joy

Thanks and regards
Saba man
by Sabaman (guest)  

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/1/30 12:39
Exactly what type of card is it?

I have a Japan Post bank account with a cash card, and that's all the card is -- it's a card for withdrawing cash from the bank's AMT. It is not a credit card, such as VISA, Mastercard, JCB, etc...

Take a close look at your card and see what it says on it.

by Kan Dora (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/1/30 15:54
Regarding payment on the internet. In Japan you can pay often either in cash upon delivery or you can pay in cash in a conbini. Specially for foreigners it can be challenging to get a credit card but it is actually much less needed in Japan than in other countries as payment in cash is much more common. Including at many places only cash is accepted.

Enjoy your life in Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/1/30 17:53
1- can I use this card on internet ( for booking hotels or flights or purchase on internet ) ?

Unless it's a credit card, you most likely cannot use it.

2- can I use my post Bank card outside Japan when I go back to my country ) ?

Same as above.

3- can I buy for example something from airport and pay with this card ?

Ordinary bank cards can usually be used as Debit cards. A lot of shops in Japan, including shops at airports, accept Debit card payment. You can present your Debit card, and the amount will immediately be deducted from your bank account.

For further details, you need to ask at the counter that issued your card, or phone the card company printed on your card and ask.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/1 11:59
Dear friends
Good day

Thanks for everyone who answer to my questions
It is highly appreciated so much

Please find what I meant :

- I receieved the card from post Bank and it is just cash Bank ( as I understand from your answers , that it can be only for ATM deposit and withdraw )

- regarding buying on internet for example I do not think that Amazon do cash on delivery

- if I want to book airflight I have to use Credit card , right ? And the one I have is not useful I think as it is just for ATM withdraw or deposit

- I am already working in Japan in legal way , any advise how I can open bank account which provide the Credit card

- Can I ask post Bank for applying for Credit card ? Is it available in Post Bank ?

Please check and advise , your answers are highly appreciated

For any further questions ,, please feel free to contact me

Thanks in advance for everyone answers
Best regards and wish you all wonderful day
by Saba Man rate this post as useful

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/1 12:31
Amazon does sell a lot of things cash on delivery, at least if it's within Japan (sending an item from Japan to a consumer in Japan). It's called "dai-biki" and you need to pay a few hundred yen extra.

Post bank issues credit cards. Whether you will be granted one is a different story though.
http://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/kojin/card/credit/kj_crd_cdt_top_index...

Hope it helps.

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/1 15:00
Also flights can be bought online with cash if you choose to pay at a conbini.

I have heard that for foreigners the easiest credit card to get is the one from Rakuten. But itfs not a done deal. Both my husband and I got rejected although we had well paying, legal jobs. I later on finally got one through SKBC Prestia where I had my account.

Enjoy your life in Japan!

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/1 15:06
Hello
Thanks so much for your answer
Can you please advise how can I book flight on internet and I want to pay at convincing store

If I want to book flight in advance ,, how can I book and then pay in convincing store

Actually japan is very confusing when itfs about credit care

For me cash card I see itfs too useless , since I have the post Bank book , so I believe itfs the same thing like the cash card from the post Bank ,, I see no any advantage

Thanks in advance and I wish for you and your husband happy life in Japan.

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/1 15:19
I am not sure if it works for all flights. But I remember buying a flight with AirFrance on their homepage and one of the payment options was convenience store. You just select that and the you have a given amount of time (eg 24 h) to go and pay. I did this also for some other large payments of things I bought online.

I have never booked a flight through Jalan or Rakuten but most likely they have that option too.

And just try to apply for the Rakuten credit card. Worst thing that can happen is that you will get rejected.

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/1 20:35
For me cash card I see itfs too useless

If you only tend to stay near post offices, your statement is understandable. But there are too many places in Japan where you can use a cash card at an ATM but cannot use a post bank book. Not all places in Japan are within walking distance from post offices. Also, as I wrote previously, cash cards can be used as Debit cards. So I can't imagine myself possessing a bank book without any cash cards issued.

Similarly, there are areas where credit cards are hardly accepted. So when I travel, I carry both my credit card and post bank card, especially because a lot of rural areas don't have other banks for dozens of miles but do have a post bank (which is the post office) at a closer distance.

Just my 2 cents.

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/1 21:35
I don't know if things have changed in the meantime... but when i opened my account at UFJ, 4 years ago, they gave me 2 card straight. One cash card, same as the one you have, and a debit card. With the Debit Card i can buy things online, tickets... i've been using it abroad as well to cash withdrawal. Try and go to UFJ and ask.
by ACF82 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/2 00:30
Just for reference, the only card I have for my UFJ account is a bank card that also works as a Debit card.

Using the card, I can withdraw cash or pay cashless at places that accept Debit card payment, but it's not the same thing as a credit card.

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/2 01:02
@Uco, with the Debit card i have, i can't withdrawal cash in Japan. I can only pay in conbini, restaurants, buy online etc... (never really found a place, in 4 years, that doesn't accept that card). For Cash i use the other cash card they gave me. I also have a Credit Card with UFJ, but to get that i had to go with my mother in law as guarantor. I just asked my wife to be sure, and she confirmed the 2 card came with standard account. I had a bit of money to deposit when i first opened the account, maybe that's relevant... not sure
by ACF82 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/2 02:00
Thank you, ACF82.

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/2 15:40
Hello
Thanks so much for your answer
Can you please advise how can I book flight on internet and I want to pay at convincing store

If I want to book flight in advance ,, how can I book and then pay in convincing store

Actually japan is very confusing when itfs about credit care

For me cash card I see itfs too useless , since I have the post Bank book , so I believe itfs the same thing like the cash card from the post Bank ,, I see no any advantage

Thanks in advance and I wish for you and your husband happy life in Japan.

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/2 16:04
Talking about the credit card (if you are interested), it doesnft have to be a bank credit card.
You can still pay from your JP account.
For example,
1) If you buy from Amazon often, there is Amazon Mastercard (no VISA).
2) You may see gT-pointh Logo everywhere now, so Y (Yahoo/Softbank) card (VISA or Mastercard) is good to collect T-point.
3) If you prefer AMEX, you can choose SAISON AMEX card. The membership fee is cheaper than the original AMEX card. If you have preferred airline, Saison AMEX also have partnership with alliance.
These are only some examples, but since there are too many cards, I think these are useful for foreign residents in Japan.

Many foreign people say that they were rejected by many credit card companies even they have enough income. No one can tell you the reason. But these are some tips, I hope they help.
*Apply at least 6 months after you start working in Japan.
*Ready to send the copy of your passport (your ID page and visa stamp page), Residence card, health insurance card when they ask. (They want to know your personal info., visa status and current address .)
*Do not apply several cards at once.
Needless to say, but the most important thing for the card company is that you wonft leave Japan without paying the bill. Since they cannot check your history/record before coming to Japan, they tend to be strict.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/2 16:52

As said above, payment at a convenience store is often one of the payment options.

I lived 1,5 years in Japan without a Japanese credit card and it wasnft an issue. Although I have to admit that having one was /is better at least for me who is used to credit cards.

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/19 20:30

The passbook only allows you to use JP Bank ATMs. If you ever need to use an ATM of another bank (such as a combini ATM if you suddenly need cash at 2am), you must use the card. Also, the card is smaller and of a more standard shape, so some people may find it easier to carry.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Japan post Bank card 2018/2/19 21:08
Oh, also if you are a very private person, carrying your passbook around is not too great since it has your entire account activity history writtent on it...
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread