Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Professor visa for part-time lecturer? 2018/2/1 15:59
Hi there,

Ifve been living in Japan for 12 years working as an ALT, and want to make the transition to part-time lecturer at three universities from April.

I have applied for permanent residency but am still waiting for the result (applied in August last year).

My question is if I cannot get the permanent residency, can I get the professor visa? I will be teaching 11 classes and making more than enough money to qualify. I have a Master of Arts.

I know the universities cannot sponsor me so can I apply by giving details of my employment contracts?

Immigration has said to just wait for the result of my PR but I want to hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

by Midnightrambler (guest)  

Re: Professor visa for part-time lecturer? 2018/2/1 19:53
Have you looked into the HSP visa? Depending on how much it is that you make, your academic background, age, and also N1 (or not) you might have enough points. Not sure however how it will look like if you apply for HSP while the permanent residency application is ongoing. Probably best to consult with immigration on that.

Continue to enjoy your life in Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Professor visa for part-time lecturer? 2018/2/2 12:26
Probably not. I've been full-time at a Japanese uni for decades. I first came over on a prof visa, later switched to a spouse visa, and I'm now a permanent res. Over the years I've hired teachers for our university, all full-time employees, and we've had to show sponsorship to get the university teacher visa. If you are part-time, it probably won't happen. But do contact the visa office for your region and inquire further.
by Visa (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread