Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jigokudani Monkeys & Alpine Route 2018/2/5 14:25
Hello!
I'm wondering if it's possible (and if so the best course of action) to do the Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park & Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route (by bus or whatnot - we're not hikers!) in a two day period?
The plan was to head to Nagano from Tokyo, do the two activities over two days, and head to Kyoto after. (In early May if that makes any difference.)

Can anyone tell me how this would be best achieved? Say, for example, from Tokyo we head to the monkey park, stay overnight either near the monkeys or close to the start of the route. Next day, head to do the route (1 way or round trip?), then after the trip head over to Kyoto.

Does this sound feasible? We'd very much like to do both activities but I'd rather not dedicate any more than 2 days to it.

Thanks in advance for any answers!
by Jacinta (guest)  

Re: Jigokudani Monkeys & Alpine Route 2018/2/5 18:35
It is busy but it is doable. So:-

day 1 - head to Nagano, go to monkey national park, stay night in Nagano.

day 2 - drop bags off at Nagano station between 0900-1030 (see alpine website and follow from there), then do Alpine Route, collect bags from Toyama, move onto Kyoto.

https://www.alpen-route.com/en/transport_new/baggage.html

by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Jigokudani Monkeys & Alpine Route 2018/2/5 23:59
In May there wonft be any snow anymore in the monkey park. I would reconsider this and visit monkeys elsewhere, eg in Kyoto. I think the attraction of the SNOW monkey park is to see them in the onsen in winter. But in other times of the years it is a quite remote place just to see maybe some monkeys. Just my opinion.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jigokudani Monkeys & Alpine Route 2018/2/6 06:42
Instead of staying in Nagano, where there's very little to do, after seeing the monkeys get a lift to Obasute Station and then go to Matsumoto by train for the night. The train ride is less than one hour, and it's an inexpensive local train fare. There's a lot more to do and see in Matsumoto, and you'll be closer to your next destination.
by Barry Goode (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jigokudani Monkeys & Alpine Route 2018/2/9 06:18
Thanks all for your answers and opinions! :) I will be taking them all into account as I decide my itinerary. ^_^
by Jacinta (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread