Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying JR Pass online, legitimate? 2018/2/6 05:59
Hi,
I had an option of saving some money on buying a JR pass online instead of from my travel agency.

However, I am not sure if these sites are legitimate or trustworthy enough. I heard stories of wrong name printed on the vouchers, lost mail, etc.

www.japan-rail-pass.com

and

www.jrpass.com

Were two sites I found. Not sure if these are good enough or if I should go with the travel agency. I calculated a saving of about 4200 JPY for one of these.
by JR P (guest)  

Re: Buying JR Pass online, legitimate? 2018/2/8 00:02
There's a link on this website to https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/?ap=j0095g
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

Re: Buying JR Pass online, legitimate? 2018/2/8 00:43
I am not sure if these sites are legitimate or trustworthy enough.

These two sites are not JR official websites.

Checking the JR official website regarding Japan Rail Pass,
you can tell that there is no officially-recognized way to order a Japan Rail Pass through the web.
http://japanrailpass.net/en/purchase.html

And there is no JR official tool to suggest you whether a Japan Rail Pass would pay off or not for your specific journey.

How is your whole itinerary?
Why do you judge that you can save some money by choosing a JRP?

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Buying JR Pass online, legitimate? 2018/2/8 01:06
When I used to buy the national JR Pass, at one time or another, I think I've used one or both of those and had no issues exchanging the voucher for the pass.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Buying JR Pass online, legitimate? 2018/2/8 05:35
@omotenashi
Actually, I have calculated that I would benifit from using a JR Pass, but that is not the question here. I will buy one but I have found some online sources to buy from which I do not know are to be trusted or not.

As I will not leave until late May I cannot buy it yet as there is this three months validity of the voucher from print date. Hence I cannot buy from anywhere yet.
by JR (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying JR Pass online, legitimate? 2018/2/8 05:57
It would help if you said where you lived, or registered on this site and put your home country, but https://www.japan-experience.com/ have done the goods for me several times- very efficiently, and they give you a free guide and train line map
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Buying JR Pass online, legitimate? 2018/2/8 06:38
I'm in the US and used Japan Experience for my June 2017 trip. It was legit and came super fast.

JTB USA allows on-line ordering, though they charge Fed-Ex fees. I might order from them anyway because I need Ghibli tickets this next trip.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Buying JR Pass online, legitimate? 2018/2/8 06:44
I bought mine twice from JTB USA website. Had no problems exchanging at Narita Airport.
by ogpc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying JR Pass online, legitimate? 2018/2/8 09:49
I buy a lot of JR passes and I use Japan-Experience because of their excellent delivery from France and their prompt/efficient customer service (fixing stuff when it goes wrong is where it really counts).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread