Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tax withholding for embassy workers 2018/2/6 13:45
As many might not know, embassies have 3 types of employees:
1. Diplomats with diplomatic visa who do not have to pay taxes in Japan.

2. Technical and administrative employees who have an official visa (they do not hold juminhyo nor an ID card from the Japanese government).

3. Technical and administrative workers who have a permanent residency visa.

4. Japanese employees who have to pay taxes.

My question is about official visa holders.
Do they actually have to pay income tax and city tax?
And in case they pay it, are they qualified to apply for a permanent residency visa if fulfill all the requirements although they do not have juminhyo?
Kindly let me know of any website stating the laws about these matters.
Thank you in advance for your kind reply.
by Nachan (guest)  

reply to this thread