Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse visa and not living with wife 2018/2/10 21:57
配偶者ビザ(在留資格「日本人の配偶者等」・結婚ビザ)を取得する際には、原則として、日本人と外国人配偶者とは、同居する必要があります。
This is a one clause in Japanese law. When I changed my visa from engineer to spouse after 7 year. Although I kept my address with my wife, I was away within Japan from my family for my work as a engineer. Immigration denied my PR as well as they reduce spouse visa for from 3 years to 1 year. Immigration officer told me that even if your address is same and not living with wife, they will give 1 years visa only and you will not be eligible for PR.
I know one guy from my country on spouse visa. He is out of country from 3 month to 6 months in a year and not paying pension too. Immigration gave him PR although he is living out of country. He kept the address with his wife although he go out of country. Is it because his Japanese wife is a layer and can submit good documents to make the application successful. This law should be same to everybody. How come this same law is different for him and me? I will ask this to immigration.
I am living more than 10 years and paying everything and no crime record.
by Same (guest)  

Re: Spouse via and not living with wife 2018/2/11 12:12
If you are engineer and have a job, why do you have to be on spouse visa??
If you have spent 10 yrs in Japan and paid taxed you could get PR in your own, no need to be dependent on spouse.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse via and not living with wife 2018/2/11 16:56
Agree with PP. Try looking into the HSP visa. If you can get that you can get PR within a year and you have it on your own, not based on the merit being married.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse via and not living with wife 2018/2/11 17:01
"Not living with wife" and "out of the country for 3 months work related" are two completely different things.

I'm pretty sure this is immigrations reasoning for such cases being judged upon differently. Unless the message you are trying to convey was incorrect.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse via and not living with wife 2018/2/11 21:04
Thanks for the opinion. This happen with me before 3 years. I was on spouse visa. I applied naturalization and waiting for result now. Here, all the people mentioned that they got only 1 year visa when living away from the spouse whatever may be the reason. My question is why immigration gave him PR though he is not living with the wife for long time in a year. The same situation as mine. Why the same law clause is in his favor and not mine.
by Same (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse via and not living with wife 2018/2/11 21:45
I don't know why... Maybe it was just a different way it was presented - maybe he said he was on "business trips" to outside Japan for a total of 3 - 6 months out of the year. And in your case you are constantly living at a different address from your wife, which is apparent (I assume) when your employer's address is far from your wife's address.
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse via and not living with wife 2018/2/12 08:54
The translation I got from your quote says "In principle, . . . ". That is not a hard and fast rule. The Immigration people exercise judgement, hence different outcomes.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse via and not living with wife 2018/2/13 13:06
I also went for 6 months for business trip within japan. The situation is same. Why immigration gave him special treatment . The law should be same for every body. Im contributing to the country. He is living out of japan and immigration granted his PR. Its not fair at all.

Re: Spouse via and not living with wife 2018/2/13 23:14
"I was away within Japan from my family for my work as a engineer."
if you moved to another place (and another company) to make money for your family, it means you lived separately.
if you are a 正社員 and the company ordered that you moved to anther branch in another place,転勤, the separated living was caused by the company. at that case, the company wrote a letter, to immigration, which explained your situation,単身赴任. that was helpful.
I guess you changed the companies and living places to earn money.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse via and not living with wife 2018/2/14 09:43
The situation is same. no, doesn't look like it.
Why immigration gave him special treatment . No evidence of that.
The law should be same for every body. It is, you didn't quote a "law", looks more like a guideline, plus procedure and interpretation is every case on its merits.
Its not fair at all. That is your assessment, but there are lots of things that a re "not fair" in the world and in life. Just because you think it isn't fair doesn't change the result. Apply again and prove to Immigration your marriage and commitment to Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse via and not living with wife 2018/2/21 12:58
Anyway. I got my naturalization result this week in my favor

reply to this thread