Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I use Tourist visa after CoE issued? 2018/2/18 03:39
My Coe was issued yesterday but I have already booked a flight to Japan 3 days later. It's long holiday here in HK so the visa office is closed. Can i visit japan with a tourist visa and obtain my work visa after I return to my home country?
by eugene99  

Re: Can I use Tourist visa after CoE issued? 2018/2/18 08:49
yes you can
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use Tourist visa after CoE issued? 2018/2/18 22:44
Yes you can, as long as you are back in your home country in time. I believe the COE has a validity period within which you need to go to the embassy and ask for the visa.

Enjoy your life in Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use Tourist visa after CoE issued? 2018/2/18 23:17
Thx for your reply!

My visa lawyer said after the Coe is issued, I must go to the embassy and get the visa within the valid date. And before my work visa is approved, I cannot enter Japan. (ビザを取得なさるまではご入国できません。)

But I don't understand...I thought the Coe is just a cert to show that I'm qualified to apply for the visa?? That means before I get the work visa I can still enter Japan with Temporary Visitor status, right?
(I'm from a visa waiver country)

I asked my lawyer why but she didn't explain it clearly. She just told me to cancel the flight...

Does anyone have idea why the visa lawyer said that? Did anyone try that?
by eugene99 rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use Tourist visa after CoE issued? 2018/2/18 23:42
Each situation might be different, but I was in Japan on a tourist visa when my COE for dependent visa came to my homecountry. I then after some weeks went back there, got my visa, and came back to Japan then on my new dependent visa. So it was no problem to be in Japan.

Maybe your lawyer means that you cannot go to Japan and change the visa there or that you cannot go to Japan and start working before you have your visa.

You could call the embassy in your home country, or if they are closed for CNY maybe in an other country?

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use Tourist visa after CoE issued? 2018/2/19 00:00
Thx for sharing experience.

My lawyer said that if the CoE is issued when the applicant is in Japan, it is fine. But not after CoE is issued. (CoEが発行されたときにたまたま日本にいらっしゃるのはいいのですが、発行されてからはだめなんです。)

I cannot change the flight or get refund now T_T
I'm thinking if I should just try coz I'm gonna waste the ticket either way...
by eugene99 rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use Tourist visa after CoE issued? 2018/2/19 07:35
Simply as long as you dont start any visa
application with the COE, you should be fine entering Japan as TEMP VISITOR under visa waiver.

Your lawyer may have misunderstood you.
But then again double check with the embassy people .
by @... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use Tourist visa after CoE issued? 2018/2/19 07:35
Simply as long as you dont start any visa
application with the COE, you should be fine entering Japan as TEMP VISITOR under visa waiver.

Your lawyer may have misunderstood you.
But then again double check with the embassy people .
by @... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use Tourist visa after CoE issued? 2018/2/19 19:00
As long as you haven’t used your CoE to any visa application yet, and do not plan to work in Japan yet, you may use your Temporary Visitor visa. Just return with enough time allowance to apply for your Working Visa. Have a happy holiday!
by Lady Green (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread