Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

gTemporary Visitorh to gLong Termh Parent 2018/2/19 17:38
Hi there!
Anybody have an idea on how to change a Temporary Visa to a Resident Visa???

I am a Filipina Long Term Resident here in Japan. I invited my mother through Visiting Relatives Visa and was granted and shefs already here since last month, January.
I am thinking of applying for a Residence Visa for her, probably as a gLong Term Residenth. Is that possible?
My mother is 72 years old, widowed and is diabetic. I donft want her to go back to the Philippines because nobody can look after her, shefs alone in our house. I worry too much so I want her to just stay here with me so I can look after her and seek medical treatment.
What should I do?
by MizTerYoza (guest)  

Re: gTemporary Visitorh to gLong Termh Parent 2018/2/19 19:08
Basically you need to convince immigration that your mother really, really needs to stay with you in Japan. Probably, you should consult with an immigration lawyer, who can help you present your case in the best possible light to maximise your chances. One question immigration will surely ask is why you can't live with your mother in the Philippines, so you better have a good answer to that.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: gTemporary Visitorh to gLong Termh Parent 2018/2/19 20:03
Thanks for the answer and the idea, Firas!

Ifve been living and working here in Japan for almost 8 years. I entered Japan as a gSpouse of Japanese Nationalh but divorced after 6 years, so I applied for change of status and was granted gLong Termh which is my current status. Just last year, I re-married to a gPermanent Residenth, we are living together and I am currently pregnant with our first child. I have my family here and have established a good status and career, so I canft just go home to the Philippines and live with my Mom. Besides, I am the one solely supporting her...
I think having her stay here would be more beneficial to Japanfs economy instead of me sending remittances monthly all these years which benefit only the Philippine economy! 😅
(That onefs a joke! 😅✌)
Kidding aside, do you think thatfs good enough reason? ❓❓❓
by MizTerYoza (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: gTemporary Visitorh to gLong Termh Parent 2018/2/19 20:15
I don't know, I'm not an immigration official. The only way to know is to file an application and wait for the results.

Re: gTemporary Visitorh to gLong Termh Parent 2018/2/19 20:27
I would talk with an immigration lawyer. That said, there are some visa categories that allow you to bring your parents if you need them to aid with your children. (I know thatfs not what you really need your mother for, but I guess you could still say so unless your mother is very sick, so immigration could doubt if she would really be a help). I think HSP is such a visa. Not sure if your long term visa (is this PR?) would also allow for that.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: gTemporary Visitorh to gLong Termh Parent 2018/2/19 20:43
your long term visa (is this PR?)

No; "Long-term resident" and "Permanent resident" are different things.

Re: gTemporary Visitorh to gLong Termh Parent 2018/2/19 21:10
Thanks to you too, LikeBike!

I see...
What is HSP?
No. Long Term is teiju and PR is eiju.

I also worry my Long Term status may not allow that. In that case, can my husband who is a PR be the guarantor instead?

Re: gTemporary Visitorh to gLong Termh Parent 2018/2/19 21:37
You are confusing two completely different things. We are not at all talking about the permission under HSP status to bring your parents to assist in child care; it obviously does not apply here.

We are talking about obtaining LTR status for OP's mother. Reminder: LTR status is for people who do not qualify for any other status, but who are nevertheless judged to have a good reason to stay in Japan. This could apply to OP's mother due to 1) her poor health; 2) the fact that nobody can care for her in her home country; and 3) the fact that OP has now established a life in Japan (as illustrated by the fact that she was granted LTR herself).

Re: gTemporary Visitorh to gLong Termh Parent 2018/2/19 21:54
Yes, I was confused and I donft know what is HSP. Is that also a kind of residence status?

What I understand from the answers is that I need to have a strong reason to have her stay here, a strong residence status my self and financial capability, i guess, to guarantee her long term stay without problems. I got it. 👍

Oh, Firas, youfre giving me hopes... ☺
Thank you!

Re: gTemporary Visitorh to gLong Termh Parent 2018/2/20 00:23
Sorry, I should not have used an abbreviation. HSP is Highly Skilled Professional. It is a visa category. It is very likely that the visa you currently have is better, but HSP allows under certain conditions to bring your parents, so that is why I proposed to think about that visa.

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_3/en/preferential/index.html

5. Permission for bringing the parent(s) to accompany the highly-skilled foreign professional to Japan under certain conditions
Under the current system, parents of foreign nationals staying in Japan under a status of residence for work are not allowed to enter in Japan. However, the parent(s) (including a non-biological parent) of a highly-skilled foreign professional or his/her spouse is allowed to enter and stay in Japan subject to conditions detailed below:
(i) where the parent will take care of a child younger than 7 years of age of the highly-skilled foreign professional or his/her spouse; or
(ii) where the parent will take care of a pregnant highly-skilled foreign professional or to a pregnant spouse of a highly-skilled foreign professional
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread