Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

CoE/Work Visa Question 2018/2/20 03:39
Hello, all. Have a question for you on the CoE/Visa process - I have an idea but this is important enough that I want to make sure I've got it right.

So... I have a CoE for a 1-year instructor visa that I intend to exchange a the Japanese consulate in LA. I have a job offer, which I intend to take - but at the same time, I'm well into the interview process with another company, and I'd lean towards going with them if I got an offer.

Long story short - I know when I turn in the visa application along with the CoE, I fill in the company info. If I haven't heard back from the second company in a few days I'm going to have to get the visa using the first company's info - where does that leave me if, say, I get the other offer the next day? I know the visa itself isn't going to be tied to a company but if I were to then go with Company #2, could that cause me problems down the line?

Sorry if that explanation was messy... Thanks much for the help/
by Deeg67  

Re: CoE/Work Visa Question 2018/2/20 12:24
if the work is still related to your Visa you are ok. If not you need to inform immigration
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: CoE/Work Visa Question 2018/2/20 12:29
Once you said yes to a company and they started the application process, you should have stopped any other interviewing process.

The visa at least initially IS tied to the employer. So if you apply for the visa with company A, but later said OK to company B, saying sorry to company A, A can immediately inform immigration authorities that you left. Where does that leave you? You might be trying to come into Japan with a visa sponsored by A but no longer valid (you'd be trying to enter Japan on a fraudulent ground), and B would have to start from scratch to sponsor you for a visa.

Sorry about the bad timing, but if you decided to go with company A, go with it.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: CoE/Work Visa Question 2018/2/20 13:04
Yes, the visa is tied to the employer/sponsor. If it turns out you're not going to be working for them, they can have your CoE/visa revoked.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: CoE/Work Visa Question 2018/2/20 13:15
Thank you for the helpful replies - much appreciated. To justmyday, the answer is yes - the other company is an instructor position as well, same field.

guest and Firas - I just want to clarify: is the visa tied to the company that facilitated the CoE, or does that only become tied *after* I submit the application with their information along with the CoE? In other words if I got the offer from Company B tomorrow and filled in *their* information on the visa application, would it still be tied back to Company A because they submitted the original CoE paperwork?

Just trying to do everything the right way here, thanks for all the help.
by Deeg67 rate this post as useful

Re: CoE/Work Visa Question 2018/2/20 13:22
In other words if I got the offer from Company B tomorrow and filled in *their* information on the visa application,

I don't think you can do that, because B was never even mentioned on the COE application.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: CoE/Work Visa Question 2018/2/20 16:35
If the employer information on the visa application doesn't match the CoE, the visa will obviously be denied. You need a new CoE.
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread