Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My cats destroyed the wallpaper. Now what? 2018/2/20 03:51
So I moved to Japan in the fall and it took a while to find a place that accepted two cats, but I finally found one. I didn't want my cats to scratch my furniture so I immediately bought a cat tree. Back home, they only scratched the tree and left my furniture alone so I figured I would be safe. Everything was fine until I noticed they were scratching the wallpaper. You know the one - white, embossed, feels exactly like a scratching post.

I tried to make them stop but there's no stopping them - the wallpaper is on every wall in the apartment and they mostly scratch at night when we're sleeping. At this point, at least half the walls will have to be redone and I'm okay with the fact that I'll have to pay for it when I move out, but I was wondering... is that something that happens often? Is the landlord going to expect some damage knowing that I have two cats or am I going to be in trouble? I mean, you'd think they wouldn't put wallpaper that feels like a scratching post in a cat-friendly building, but I guess that would make too much sense.
by Trevy (guest)  

Re: My cats destroyed the wallpaper. Now what? 2018/2/20 12:22
If the landlord allowed cats, yes, they would be aware of that possibility, and they live with the consequences, meaning, they'd probably have to change the wallpaper when you move out (maybe instead of re-doing it less often, let's say, after two tenants, that is). And you might be paying with the full deposit (instead of getting part of it back) when you move out.

When years ago we moved into a pet-ok apartment with a cat, the deposit policy for pet-owners was 3 months' worth of rent instead of 2 months' rent for those without pets, so that tells you what they expect.

And cats do what cats do :)

And what they like to scratch differs from one cat to another, so I don't think the landlord intentionally selected that kind of wallpaper :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: My cats destroyed the wallpaper. Now what? 2018/2/20 12:22
I dont think your landlord is responsible to put cat friendly wallpaper on the wall.
It is easy to say when it is the responsibility of the person who rents the apartment.

Same as I have parking space but I scratched the car because the parking space it to small.

You need to change the wallpaper or the landlord will do and at the end you need to pay for it.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: My cats destroyed the wallpaper. Now what? 2018/2/20 14:07
It will depend on the owner. Some owners will let it go. Others will require for you to fix it. Whether a rental is animal friendly or not. Animal friendly does no mean you are void of having to fix the damage an animal may cause.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: My cats destroyed the wallpaper. Now what? 2018/2/20 22:49
"When years ago we moved into a pet-ok apartment with a cat, the deposit policy for pet-owners was 3 months' worth of rent instead of 2 months' rent for those without pets, so that tells you what they expect."

Yeah, I had to pay an extra month of deposit as well, and I didn't really get it, but I guess they'll just keep that to fix the wallpaper? At least it's nice to know that they DO expect some kind of damage.

Thanks for the responses. And yeah, cats will be cats. This is why we can't have nice things XD
by Trevy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread