Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What should I wear to Tokyo in early of March 2018/2/21 12:16
I'm from Malaysia. Will be traveling to Tokyo in early of March for the first time. It's the end of the Winter. I have low tolerance to cold weather, thinking if I should bring along winter jackets or just normal jackets. Do I need long Johns too? Are jeans ok to wear during this period of time? Thank you in advance for your answer. :)
by CrystalTravs  

Re: What should I wear to Tokyo in early of March 2018/2/21 18:32
If you search in the internet you will find temperature diagrams. Also you could just use a weather forecast app a few days before you depart.
BUT if you are from Malaysia and have low tolerance to cold I would say bring your winter wear. I am Northern European and would say that Tokyo in early March is still quite chilly. I wouldnft put MY winter jacket on because itfs for -5 C temperatures. But I guess that your winter jacket is more like a + 5 C jacket.

Current weather forecast for Tokyo on 1st of March is max 18 C , min 9 C rainy and for 2nd if March down to max 9 C min 4 C , Sunny.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What should I wear to Tokyo in early of March 2018/2/21 18:58
As a person who grew up in Tokyo, I agree with LikeBike. They call it "spring" but it's winter.

But since they call it spring, locals prefer to wear thinner overcoats just to look good. You might want to bring along something like a trench coat as opposed to a heavy down jacket. Wool scarves and gloves definitely help. It's also helpful to wear layers of thin clothing, because at the end it's warmer than one heavy layer. Plus, it's easier to carry around once it gets warm enough to take it off.

Long johns, it's up to you, but you can always go to a Uniqlo here in Japan to buy Heattech underwear. Drug stores still sell portable warmers ("kairo") in March.

Hope you have fun!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: What should I wear to Tokyo in early of March 2018/2/22 19:03
I'm from Singapore, had my first Japan trip in mid of March and did not have prior experience of cold weather. The biggest challenge was not the cold itself, but the dry wind especially at night. Every morning I struggled with runny nose until I found the remedy by wearing mask :)

I recommend a medium-weight down jacket with good wind breaking property combined with layering. Bring a good pair of gloves and good hand cream. Use shawl to protect neck and mouth. Mask can help to keep the lips and nose warm. A warm beanie hat will help too.

Jeans may not be the best garment as it can retain the moisture in case of wet condition. You can try Uniqlo Heattech for the inner lining, but personally this Uniqlo pants work like a charm for me. The fleece lining kept me warm and the outer layer protects from wind and light rain.
http://www.uniqlo.com/sg/store/women-warm-lined-cargo-pants-1278450022...

Sounds plenty but it's better to come warm and prepared :) Bring some light sweater or you can easily drop by any Uniqlo store to find extra layer if your clothing. Enjoy Japan!

If you search in the internet you will find temperature diagrams

As someone grows up in warmer, 2-season country, I find it hard to estimate how temperature below 25 degree will feel like. It's a struggle to prepare the clothes especially when travelling to areas with different temperature level e.g. Tokyo and Tohoku.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread