Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass or Suica 2018/2/24 06:21
My BF and I will be traveling to Tokyo during October and will be there for 15 days. Wefll be staying a bit out of Tokyo in an area called Matsudo-shi, in an Airbnb. I know the JR Passes only go for increments of 7, 14, and 21. So Ifd need the 14 and theyfre pretty expensive. So should I get a Suica instead? Also, Ifll be flying in and out of Narita.

Mirmaid.
by Mirmaid (guest)  

Re: JR pass or Suica 2018/2/24 08:41
How much time do you have to travel out of the 14 days? The JR Pass only makes sense to buy if you want to go to multiple places, not to mention get to a long distance destination quicker on a bullet train. Why not just buy a 7 day pass and activate it sometime within your trip to get the most out of the 7 days . If you have to stay local for most of your time it would not be worth the cost. I am traveling in April for 11 days and getting a JRPass but I won't activate it until 4 days into the trip. I hope this makes sense.
by perezp77 rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass or Suica 2018/2/24 08:51
If youfre only going to be in Tokyo, Ifd forget about the rail pass. You have to average about \4200 a day for it to pay off and if you plan your Tokyo itinerary correctly, youfd be hard-pressed to spend \500-600 a day on transport....
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass or Suica 2018/2/24 08:55
We plan on traveling back and forth between all the major Tokyo cities. Akihabara, Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Studio Ghibli Museum, Disney, etc. I just didnft realize how far away the Airbnb was going to be from certain areas and nievely thought the JR passes covered every local transport until now when we officially started planning.
by Mirmaid rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass or Suica 2018/2/24 10:07
The JR Pass is designed for long-distance travel, not local travel. There's no way it will pay off if you're staying in Tokyo. Look into some of the Tokyo-specific passes, like the Tokyo Metro Pass, and see if they pay off for your planned itinerary. Or just get an IC card.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass or Suica 2018/2/24 12:57
IC card for your travels.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass or Suica 2018/2/24 17:14
Definitely an IC card. Matsudo is quite a way out but per Hyperdia even a ticket from there to Shinagawa is only 470 yen.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread