Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

WiFi while in Japan 2018/2/24 07:06
Hi everyone,

I am in Japan for three months and I would like to know; what's the best thing to do in terms of wifi and phone calls/texts?

My family and friends are in Wales so I cannot use my normal phone package that I pay for monthly.

My teacher has suggested I get a separate sim card and pocket wifi, what's the best way to do that and where?

I get into Haneda airport so I will need wifi to tell my family I am safe.
by RobynMakin  

Re: WiFi while in Japan 2018/2/24 15:37
I recommend renting a pocket WiFi from this place: https://www.gmobile.biz/softbank/inbound/

They offer economical monthly plan. I rented from them twice before, and soon again for the third time.
by LTS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: WiFi while in Japan 2018/2/24 17:13
You could just buy a SIM card for data and use Skype to call your family. As a tourist in Japan you cannot get a phone SIM card, but only data. But it f you get a Skype subscription or credit you can call family back home on their landlines. They canft call you though. If your family instead uses internet they can call you on Skype, whatsup or whatever other app you guys use.
I think for 3 months it will be cheaper to just buy a sim than renting a pocket WiFi. This assumes that you have a smartphone.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: WiFi while in Japan 2018/2/24 23:00
Thank you! Where would be the best place to buy the Sim from? I have seen a few good websites.
by RobynMakin rate this post as useful

Re: WiFi while in Japan 2018/2/25 06:04
The only place I ever looked for these SIM cards was at BIC Camera. They have different schemes with more or less data. But no idea if it is the cheapest. Just very easy to get and they will normally also install it in the phone and help you with any changes to settings you might need.
In central bic cameras they also have English speaking staff.
But I think you can also buy at the airport where there are other offers.
Probably the difference between a cheaper one and a less cheap one is like one lunch. If you stay 3 months in my eyes this is a minimal difference and I would invest my time into searching more about places to visit rather than spend a lot of time and energy in searching the cheapest SIM card. But that is me.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread