Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita to Shiodome 2018/2/27 01:33
Hello,

Looking for some insight into the timeframe it'll take to maneuver through Narita and make our way to the Park Hotel Tokyo in the Shiodome area plus potentially visit Odaiba/ Diver City area the night we arrive.

Our flight is set to arrive at 4:30PM, I've read it'll take an hour to clear customers and immigration plus another 30 minutes or so to maneuver through the airport. We plan on taking NEX from the airport to Tokyo Station then taxi to our hotel. After checking into the Hotel, we'd like to find somewhere nearby to eat, then catch the train to Odaiba, if it's not too late and we are not too tired.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you can share.

Thank you
by valdezja  

Re: Narita to Shiodome 2018/2/27 19:51
Narita Skyaccess train/subway will stop at Shimbashi Station right near your hotel. 1h6m travel time. then you have a 400m walk.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

NRT to Park Hotel Tokyo: Keisei - Toei option 2018/2/28 02:22
Actually there is no "Narita Skyaccess" train for Shimbashi.

Also, according to the current timetable,
Access Express trains leaving NRT after 4:30 pm on weekdays
do not go for Shimbashi,
except the last train departing at 23:00 from the station in Terminal 1.

Keisei uses two very confusing names in a misleading way.
"Narita SKY ACCESS" is a nickname for one of the two routes connecting
the stations in NRT Terminals 1 & 2 and (Keisei) Takasago Station.
"Access Express" is a name for a train service.

Access Express trains leaving NRT
first go on the Narita SKY ACCESS Line
until [KS10] (Keisei) Takasago Station,
then beyond the next Aoto Station [KS09] they take two routes,
some trains go for [KS01] (Keisei) Ueno,
and some trains go on the Keisei Oshiage Line,
continue beyond [KS45] Oshiage Station [A-20]
onto the Toei Subway Asakusa Line
and make a stop at [A-10] Shimbashi.
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/railmap/railmap.pdf
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

NRT to Park Hotel Tokyo 2018/2/28 02:27
When will you come?
Have you confirmed that you cannot fly into Tokyo Haneda Airport [HND] instead?
Which terminal of Narita Airport [NRT] is your flight scheduled to use?
(Currently there is no railway station in NRT Terminal 3.)

Logically the easiest way is to take a limousine bus directly to the hotel.
However, there is 1 and a half hour interval between the departures of the two buses after 5 pm;
in a case where you come to the bus stand just after the second last bus departs,
you may get to the hotel earlier by another way.
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/platform_searches/index/2/71
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/information/visitor_tickets/multi/ind...

We plan on taking N'EX from the airport to Tokyo Station then taxi to our hotel.

That sounds not a good choice.

In Tokyo Station,
Narita Express trains arrive at the Sobu Underground Tracks 1 and 2,
which are deep under the ground on the 5th basement.
Carrying some luggage,
you may need 15 to 20 minutes
to wait for elevators and escalators,
go up to the concourse on the ground level
and get out to the Marunouchi Central Exit.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1039.html

You can take a shorter-walking route.

Arriving to Tokyo Station by the Narita Express,
usually you can catch a Local train
(departing either at the same track
or at the other track beside the same platform)
which goes on the Yokosuka Line,
and disembark at the next Shimbashi Station.

Compared to Tokyo Station (of JR),
Shimbashi Station (of JR) is much smaller and simpler;
you can go up to the concourse,
pass through the Karasumori Gate
and get out to the Shiodome Exit
probably within 10 minutes.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e877.html

When you choose N'EX TOKYO Round Trip Ticket(s),
the one-way cost to get to Shimbashi Station by JR lines
is 2000 yen per adult passenger.
The time | cost on your taxi ride from near the Shiodome Exit
is estimated at about 4 minutes | about 500 yen per car.

Alternatively
you can travel until Ginza by the Access Narita bus then take a taxi.
The one-way bus fare is 1000 yen per adult passenger.
The time | cost on your taxi ride from near the Ginza bus stop
is estimated at about 5 minutes | about 800 yen per car.
http://accessnarita.jp/en/home/#timetable-title-3386

How many travelers will you be?
Will there be a kid?

Re: Narita to Shiodome 2018/2/28 02:36
If you take a NEX, the transfer to JR Shimbashi station is not that bad because I want to say the Yokosuka line is down in the same area that the NEX comes into. Just hop on one of those and in 6 minutes or less you will be in JR Shimbashi Station. From JR Shimbashi Station it is a very easy walk to the Park Hotel ~650 meters. I stayed at the Royal Park in '16 which is also near Shiodome and JR Shimbashi and had an easy time walking to the station with my suitcases and catching a train to Tokyo Station to change for a NEX.

I wouldn't use a cab because from Tokyo Station it will likely take you longer than just taking the Yokosuka line or even taking the elevators upstairs to catch the JR Yamanote/Keihin-Tohoku/Tokkaido line.

In terms of going to Odaiba, it depends on how alert you feel after arriving in Japan. I want to say most of my flights from the USA arrive in NRT around 16:30 and by the time I get to Tokyo it is around 18:30, though I also travel with a young child. We're always too tired to then go to Odaiba, but if you're full of energy or not traveling as far it's easily do-able.

Enjoy!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shiodome 2018/2/28 02:38
Also, according to the current timetable,
Access Express trains leaving NRT after 4:30 pm on weekdays
do not go for Shimbashi,
except the last train departing at 23:00 from the station in Terminal 1.

There is however the Keisei Main Line train of 18:53.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shiodome 2018/2/28 02:42
... oh, and of 18:02 too.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shiodome 2018/2/28 08:33
Thank you everyone for the replies, to answer a few of the questions that came up.

We are two adults, flying on ANA from Los Angeles California and arrive at Narita Airport on March 16th at 4:30PM. I believe we will arrive in Terminal 1.

Regarding the transfer at Tokyo Station, other reports I have read suggest the taxi because of our luggage. We will each have a small carry on size roller bag and medium backpacks, will this be a problem on the Yokosuka Line? We prefer whichever option is easier no us, and those around us.

We have considered Keisei Sky Access Express instead of NEX, but the timetables seem more confusing.

Depending on what time we get to our hotel, and how tired we are, I am hoping we will have energy to go to Odaiba, but my thought is we will be too tired. Just something we will have to wait and see how we feel.
by valdezja rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shiodome 2018/2/28 09:49
Hi!

Yes, I've heard about locals not always happy with foreigners who travel with lots of bags on local transportation. It's particularly problem in the Kansai area, especially with the buses in Kyoto. If you're willing to take off your back packs and just hold them facing forward or put them on your feet while on the train, it shouldn't be an issue though.

From the Yokosuka, it's only one stop between Tokyo and Shimbashi and should be under 4 minutes. For the walk between Shimbashi and your hotel it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm usually coming from NYC, so for me, I am too tired to go to Odaiba unless I am actually staying there. I would try to stay up until 21:00 and eat some dinner or you will find yourself waking at 2 or 3:00 when nothing is open. I tend to take advantage of my jet lag for early morning sightseeing, but that's really a personal thing.

Good luck!

Re: Narita to Shiodome 2018/2/28 11:20
Knowing the area around Shiodome and the hotel, an easier option may be simply get the N'Ex to Shinagawa and taxi from there.

Even if you do get a local train to Shimbashi, the route from that station to the hotel is not straight-forward due to the multiple levels and route options between the hotel entrance and the station.

(and as a comment, the B5 arrival tracks at Tokyo for the N'Ex are a simple and quick trip up to the ground floor. Most completely confused visitors can make it outside in 5 minutes - 15+ minutes is scaremongering IMO.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shiodome 2018/2/28 11:47
While I agree with @JapanCustomTours that 15 minutes is a way long estimate for the transfer... I transferred in '17 with a 6 year old and a huge suitcase the same size as my 6 year old to the Keiyo line in under 15 minutes from the NEX and the Keiyo is much further from most of the other lines, I respectfully disagree about going to Shinagawa.

It's an easy transfer to Shimbashi and if you feel at all concerned about the walk and don't want to use Google Maps, take a cab from there. It will be shorter, faster and cheaper. JR Shinagawa is going to be a longer trip on the NEX as well as a longer taxi ride (3 miles or 5 km) than from JR Tokyo (3 km) or JR Shimbashi Station (1 km.) Shinagawa Station is not any easier to use than Shimbashi Station in my experience. Maybe I am just cheap, but I don't want to pay for a 3 mile taxi ride in Tokyo which going by this site: https://www.numbeo.com/taxi-fare/in/Tokyo is going to be ~3000 yen.

I admit, I found the walk between Shimbashi Station and the Royal Park (also near Shiodome) much easier and faster when done on street level vs. trying to use the underground/lower level shopping arcades. Heck, if you're not worried about cost at all, just convenience, follow the signs to the Yurikamome Shimbashi Station and take it one stop to Shiodome. At that time of day, the Yurikamome tends to be relatively quiet and even thought the Yurikamome is an expensive train line, going one station on it (380 yen for two) is going to be less than taxi fare and unless there is some sort of night time event in Odaiba that night, having bags on that train will be a non-issue. It will take you under 5 minutes and be probably faster than a cab from Shimbashi Station even.

Good Luck!

Re: Tokyo Station, JR trains 2018/2/28 15:48
We will each have a small carry on size roller bag and medium backpacks

I see..., you won't have heavy luggage.

Tokyo Station's Marunouchi Building is known for its nice design, in both the exterior and the interior.
You might hope to have a look at them, especially when your luggage is not a big problem.

In a case where your Narita Express train has two destinations, you can see the train divided into two parts on the track in Tokyo Station.

You can catch a Local train bound for Kurihama, Zushi or Shinagawa on the Yokosuka Line.
Details of train departures are shown on electric bulletin boards.

will this be a problem on the Yokosuka Line?

I suppose not, because your train will arrive at Shimbashi soon in a few minutes.

Links to webpages in Japanese
- Photos of Narita Express E259 Series train cars
http://photozou.jp/photo/show/347454/67495579
http://photozou.jp/photo/show/347454/67495942
- Photos of E217 Series train cars (most common on the Yokosuka Line)
http://photozou.jp/photo/show/2415266/164871367
https://pixta.jp/photo/5022777

JapanCustomTours:
Most completely confused visitors can make it outside in 5 minutes

That sounds to me a too optimistic estimation.
JapanCustomTours seems not counting time on waiting for elevators | escalators, which I include, as is mentioned in my previous response.
Also, maybe he thinks about an exit just above the underground annex, not the Marunouchi Central Exit, which I expect for your convenience to catch a taxi.

You will come to Tokyo in a Friday evening probably after 5:30 pm, i.e. around the beginning of the weekend, so Tokyo Station may well be crowded with passengers and visitors.
Even by the quickest route, you have to go up one short staircase or escalator, one long escalator and another short staircase or escalator to reach the Marunouchi Central Exit.
When you make it within 5 minutes, you go fast, enough to annoy some other passengers in the crowd, maybe injure a little kid or an elderly slow walker.
(You are told not to run up or down the escalator because it is dangerous.)

Living in areas of Chiba along the Tokyo Bay for decades (since before the Keiyo Line reached Tokyo), personally I have walked for many times between the Sobu | Keiyo Underground platforms and the ground floor, at least twice during the recent few months.
I know even 10 minutes may be too short when there are throngs of people in front of the escalators.

Re: Narita to Shiodome 2018/3/1 09:15
For the N'Ex arrival at Tokyo I find the idea you have to wait for escalators a bit odd. I don't see any others having problems moving through the station when they arrive and exiting. That includes busy times of day and holiday periods that are much busier than a normal rush-hour. I even did a video one evening covering the five minutes from Yaesu central exit to the N'Ex platform.
And the central Marunouchi Exit is very easy to get to for taxis, or the transfer to Yamanote/Keihintohoku Lines for the extra leg to Shimbashi. I still think the 15+ estimate is way too generous, but with trains running every few minutes it really isn't an issue. Maybe it is because I do this frequently with guests and luggage - practice helps - and we certainly do not rush.
From Shimbashi station, the overhead walk-way is a common option (rather than at ground level).
For doing the transfer at Shinagawa, that was just a suggestion. Yes, it is a bit further, but potentially less busy. Personally I wouldn't do that, but then I've done many different options to/from the hotel in Shiodome.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shiodome 2018/3/1 09:34
We will be doing almost the same trip as you, at almost the same time!

My first preference is the Sky Access bus, which is cheap and fairly quick (provided the traffic is okay, ask at the counter). The Nex is good but it is expensive and there can be quite a wait between trains.

If you end up using the subway, it is helpful to find out which exit is the best to take from Shimbashi (or whichever station you get to): it can be a bit disorienting if you don't know where you are going. I had a peep at the website-lovely hotel by the look of it-and they don't say, but it says you can email the concierge (http://en.parkhoteltokyo.com/location/) so maybe do that to find out the best exit. The pedestrian bridges are great in that area. Street level can be a bit overwhelming and the street level crossings a bit few and far between.

If you plan to take a taxi, take a printout of your hotel name (Japanese and English) and a phone number to help the driver. It's a big hotel so they won't have any trouble.

For dinner, we head up the street in the direction of Tokyo Tower, which is also the direction of the Zozoji temple, there are lots of places to eat and people watch.

Have a wonderful trip!
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shiodome 2018/3/1 11:10
Take direct bus, no recommend Odaiba on the day night.
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/platform_searches/index/2/71

I do not know what you plan to do in the airport for 30 minutes,
but if you can cancel it you'll be able to catch the bus at 17:30/T1.
However, the arrival time of the flight is ambiguous like below,
also in MAR weather is not flat. (today is one of, by bad weather)
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/vn318
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/af276
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/nrt/arrivals

That day is Friday night, so you have to think about the evening rush(commter trains, N'EX is not).
Movement of only one station on the Yokosuka line is not bad,
but at Shimbashi station you will get off from "right door",
so would be better to take a train from the left door at the Tokyo station if crowded.
No "Keisei Skyliner" plan in your case, stupid.
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/index.php
by bollgs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Shiodome 2018/3/1 23:09
JR East is currently selling a discounted ticket of 4000 yen for a round trip on the NEX. At 2000 yen per trip it's not that expensive, and the NEX ticket will cover your fare to Shimbashi as well.

I admit, I'm somewhat athletic and know Tokyo Station well, but it's really one of the more straight forward larger stations and last time I was there had an obvious foreigner out to help with any questions foreigners might have. I like Shimbashi Station, but again I stay around there all the time. I find the walk on street level quite easy. It's flat. In your case, just follow the signs to Yurikamome Shimbashi Station and you can even then just walk along beneath the Yurikamome to the next station so you don't get lost. Speaking as someone who stayed in the Royal Park Shiodome, it's not a long walk. I've walked from Shimbashi up to Tokyo Station.

I personally rarely take the limo bus because it costs more than the NEX and if it is caught in traffic is much slower. I don't take the 1000 yen buses because again traffic.

Enjoy!

reply to this thread