Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Other Ghibli places to see than Tokyo 2018/3/1 07:10
Hello,
I will be in Japan during mid-end May and unfortunately Ghibli museum is closed for renovation during my stay in Tokyo.

I was thinking if there are any other interesting Ghibli places to see in Japan other than the Ghibli museum.

I heard of Mei and Satsuki house in Nagoya, is there anything else to recommend??
by Mangold (guest)  

Re: Other Ghibli places to see than Tokyo 2018/3/1 12:10
There is a Ghibli clock in Tokyo near Hamamatsucho.

If you have time and a reasonable budget, Yakushima Island off the coast of Kyushu was the inspiration for the forests in Princess Mononoke.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Other Ghibli places to see than Tokyo 2018/3/1 20:17
Not actually to see, but underneath the skytree, there is a shop that has many ghibli stuff to see and buy, they also have a extra totorro on display.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Other Ghibli places to see than Tokyo 2018/3/2 01:07
Rumor has it that the Hachikokuyama park around Seibu-en station is inspired My Neighbor Totoro film with the hospital there the template for the hospital used in the film. The park is supposed to be owned now by Hayao Miyazaki to ensure it is preserved.

https://allabout-japan.com/en/article/787/
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Other Ghibli places to see than Tokyo 2018/3/2 01:09
Typo: "Seibu-en station was the inspiration for the My Neighbor Totoro film "
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Other Ghibli places to see than Tokyo 2018/3/2 06:59
There's some pretty good ones on this list, some closer to Tokyo, some not.

https://matcha-jp.com/en/5255?page=1

by 123 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Other Ghibli places to see than Tokyo 2018/3/2 07:11
https://www.tsunagujapan.com/11-places-in-japan-featured-in-studio-ghi...

Here are some places but what I was looking for and didnt find was that there are maps of places where you can walk that are in some of the movies, like Only Yesterday.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Other Ghibli places to see than Tokyo 2018/3/2 07:36
I find alot of those places on those types of lists to be a con job. The "inspiration" ones really don't mean much. Sure Miyazaki might have had a look at them when he thought up his ideas. But they don't really have anything to do with the movies.

Other than the Mitaka museum, the cream puff shop (which Ioved), and the Shiodome clock tower. (There is also a big shop under Tokyo station which I think was 10X better than the Mitaka museum shop), all the others are really just using the hanging of the coat tails of the movies for marketing rep.

The Totoro bus stop is shocking. A couple of plywood painted cut outs is all it is.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Other Ghibli places to see than Tokyo 2018/3/2 07:54
I don't remember the name, but I could have sworn there is a ryokan owned by a relative of Miyazaki located near Odawara. A college friend told me about it.

Some of those things on the list I can see... like the Imperial Hotel in Kamikochi since I think canonically Horikoshi Jiro spent time in Matsumoto, some of the other ones seemed like a stretch.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Other Ghibli places to see than Tokyo 2018/3/2 18:15
I agree with hakata about the "inspiration" places. The number of ryokans claiming to be the inspiration for bath house in Spirited Away is ridiculous.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread